drawings of silver

Paige

My life has been a never ending circle of darkness.  I’m only seventeen yet I have experienced more than any of my friends. Its not the good kind either. Lets see I have lived in this foster home for only a year now. Before here I was living with a abusive family that pushed me into the darker habits I have today. The only way I was able to escape was it was with their murder. Is it bad that im not sad about it in the least bit? Oh no the only thing that brings me sadness about it is that no one in my family would take me. Of course who would want a troubled teenager, unless someone steps up to take me I will be stuck here until I run away or until I am eighteen. At least the family here treats me better than my real family. They tend to leave me alone knowing very little about my past which im very thankful for.

“Paige honey we need to talk to you.”

My foster mom, Ashley knocked on my door. Fear overtook me, why would she need to speak to me? Why did she sound so afraid? What happened? Whatever it was I will have to go see. I pulled myself out of bed making sure to put on a sweater before walking out of the room. I walked up the stairs out of the basement. Ashley and Dave were sitting in the living both looking pale and scared, what happened. Did they find out?

“Sit down Paige there’s something we need to talk about.”

Ashley’s voice was barely a whisper tears brimming in her eyes. I sat on the couch opposite of them shaking from fear.

“The police called today about your parents..”

I breathed in sharply shaking even harder than what I was already. Come on pull yourself together don’t show your emotions remember no one cares how about you.

“The people that killed your parents have still not been found, but they have reasons to believe that they are coming after you Paige. Another body showed up killed the same way and a note was attached they think its from the same people. They want you dead to.”

Ashley started crying, I felt a single tear escape and roll down my face. Great only more to add to  my circle of worry and sadness.

“We think it would be in your best interest to send you away until these people are caught and brought to justice. Once they are locked up you can come and live with us again and we can be a family again.”

I could see in their eyes that it broke them to send me away. It would break me to if I could be broken anymore. I loved it here I didn’t want to leave plus if the killers are searching for me wont they find them? They could hurt my family.

“What about you guys?”

My voice cracked with worry and sadness. If they get hurt it would be all my fault.

“The police is moving us also to an unknown location where we will get new identity’s until notified that’s it is okay to come get you and come home.”

Ashley started shaking from crying and Dave comforted her. All I wanted was to comfort her to but I refuse to get close. I do care for them but I try not to show my feelings most of the time.

“When do I leave? Where am I going?”

My voice was hardly a whisper hoping I wasn’t having to go too far from my new home. Knowing the situation though I’m probably being set somewhere far away.

“Australia. Your going to live with some of my family under a different identity, you leave tomorrow. They will know who you really are but to everyone else you have to be someone your not. Im sorry Paige but this is for the best.”

Dave spoke with sureness but with a hint of worry. I guess they really did care for me I just wish I could return the feelings. Australia? That’s the farthest you could get from my current home, it was a completely different country to begin with. America to Australia this should be fun.

“We got you some different clothes and hair dye at least to change your appearance.”

Ashley reached behind the couch and pulled out a couple bags. She handed them to me with shaking hands. I opened the first one to find dark chocolate brown hair dye it’s completely different from my light blonde hair. The clothes in the bag where more punk rock then my usual bright colored sweaters and light wash jeans. I guess we really are changing everything.

“Thanks.”

I mumbled out the word and gathered the bags. Walking back to my bedroom I sat on my bed. Finally letting my feelings out. I cried searching the room for my shiny best friend. I found it and let out my feelings drawing pictures with silver that turned red in the end. Why must I be like this