Chapter Five: Silent Confessions

Sherlock paced around the flat. I looked up at him from my newspaper, scanning over the cuts and bruises on his pale arms. "How are you feeling?" I asked hesitantly, the silence becoming awkward. "Yeah, not bad. Bit... smoked," he said with a quiet chuckle. I looked at him seriously. "Last night - who did that?" He glanced away. "I don't know." His voice was low and raspy. He cleared his throat then stepped towards his bedroom. "Goodnight John." I smiled.

He closed the door behind him, leaving it cracked. Through the crack I could see his bare back as he pulled off his tight shirt. Scars decorated the strong muscles and blood was crusted beneath a few fresh cuts. Deep wounds that would've needed stitches were swollen and splotches of green and blue were dark against his white skin. I set the paper down and walked over to his bedroom, slowly pushing the door open. He whipped around to face me, a sad look in his eyes. "John..." he started, backing away. I took a step closer. "Sherlock what happened?" I whispered. He looked down. "While I was away... I disassembled Moriarty's network - to keep you, Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson, everyone safe. But while I was away I got into some... trouble." He grimaced. "Why didn't you tell me?" I asked quietly. He shook his head. "You were happy, John." I cupped my head in my hands. "After you were gone - I was never happy."

His eyes softened. I took another step closer and carefully wrapped my arms around his waist. He tensed. I backed away but he pulled me back, embracing me tightly. I sighed softly. "I asked for one more miracle, Sherlock. I asked you to stop being dead." His eyes crinkled. "I heard you," Sherlock said softly. His hands loosened around my back and I stepped back towards the door, closing it softly behind me. "Oh... and John," he started. I turned. "I love you too."