-ˏˋ 3

CHAPTER THREE

hogsmeade

        THE WEEKS SLIPPED by and Halloween drew nearer as everyone became settled into their familiar life at Hogwarts

        THE WEEKS SLIPPED by and Halloween drew nearer as everyone became settled into their familiar life at Hogwarts. James continued to sit next to Mei in Arithmancy — they got on so well that neither of them felt the need to go back to their old seating arrangements. This way they could rely on each other to copy any unfinished homework, which suited them just fine. The first half of the term always seemed to fly by, and the nearer the end of October came, the more the students began to look forward to both the half-term break and the landmark that came with it — the first Hogsmeade weekend of the year. The first was always the most fulfilling; getting out of the school grounds and having free reign of the small town for the day was a dream for most students, who were often snowed under with work in the first term. It was always Mei's favourite weekend of the year, and this year was set to be no different.

        "You go' money?" Josie shouted from the bathroom as they got ready as quickly as possible, having woken up late as always.

      "Yeah, why?" Mei called back.

         Josie shrugged, emerging from the bathroom with her toothbrush in her mouth. "I'unno 'f I go' any."

        "Spit the toothpaste out, Mateo." Mei responded, still rummaging around her trunk. "Can't understand a bloody word."

        Josie made an unintelligable noise and went back inside to spit the toothpaste into the sink.

         "I said I dunno if I've got any!" She called from inside as she turned on the tap. "Can't find my stupid purse."

       "Oh that's ok, don't worry." Mei shook her head good-naturedly. "I have some spare if you need it. Find yours when we come back, we're too late now."

         "Angel." Josie said thankfully, reaching over the bed and grabbing a scarf from beside it.

        Mei finally found her jacket underneath her own bed, presumably having been kicked under there without her noticing. She grabbed it and brushed the dust off it, putting it on as she looked around.

         "Where's Nadia?"

        Josie shrugged. "Probably waiting down there. Should we go?"

Mei nodded, checking the time. They were cutting it very fine, as always. She followed Josie out of the dorm and down to the courtyard, where the rest of the students were gathered and leaving for the village themselves. They spotted Nadia chatting to a Ravenclaw girl, and someone else facing the other direction, who ( although they seemed familiar ) was unrecognisable from behind.