One.

Somewhere in the house a door swung open and slammed closed. Another fight I'd had to listen to. I sighed and plugged my ear buds back in, turning back to the book in my arms. It wasn't particularly interesting, and I'm not entirely sure I actually read that last page, but at least I didn't have to do anything else.

With the loud music thrumming in my ears, my mind began to drift. The music didn't mean anything, it just took up empty space. Soon this playlist would be memorized and I would have to find a new one.

I was taken up with the sudden urge to open a window, but instead just pulled the curtain aside and peered out. It took a moment for my eyes to adjust to the much brighter light, but I was greeted with the same old oak I always saw. The leaves a magnificent shade of orange and slowly turning brown day by day. It always was a bit upsetting when she lost her lovely coat.

It was almost winter, and the trees knew it. Soon we would be caught in the limbo of dropping temperatures and halfhearted attempts at "holiday joy."

I never particularly liked summer, but winter was so much worse. Nothing was alive. Nothing bloomed. Nothing flourished. No one was caught sneaking out at 2am to go skinny dipping with a fling that ended in broken plates and broken hearts.

Nothing fun ever happened in those lifeless months between autumn and spring.

But one good thing did come out of winter.

Regrowth.

You've never seen a more beautiful sight than the first bloom of the dandelions. Of the early sunrise that turned windows and hearts golden.

It was a sight to behold when winter ended.

But for now, we could exist in the brightly coloured and whirlwind of fall. The leaves turning bright and most precious and falling down the earth to cover the sidewalks.