Chapter 12 - Interviews and Appointments

Despite Susan’s lack of confidence that things would continue to go their way in regards to Jessie’s the adoption, Greg continued to maintain that her adoption was according to God’s plan. It was also his explanation for why, during the next few weeks, life in general continued to go extraordinarily smoothly. Greg continued to work weekdays in Melbourne, Susan continued with her clients and her driving lessons, and Jessie continued on in pre-school.

Then one afternoon in mid-February, Mrs. Johnson called on them while Susan had Jessie at home. Greg had already arranged to be home that week for their appointment at the Embassy, and so it hadn’t even been necessary for him to change his schedule to accommodate Mrs. Johnson’s visit; that, he was quick to point out, was suggestive that the Lord was indeed rewarding their faith, while Susan maintained it was simply an answer to her prayers.

“Irrelevant,” Greg told her when they discussed it prior to Mrs. Johnson’s arrival on the day of her visit. “The fact is, Mrs. Johnson will be here and one way or another, the Lord is behind it.”

“True,” Susan agreed. “And we were both faithful to our differing beliefs on how these things come about.”

“Which suggests that agreeing to disagree on occasion is precisely the right thing to do,” Greg answered.

Susan smiled as the bell rang. “I never doubted it, Greg,” she told him as she kissed his cheek, and she went to let Mrs. Johnson in.

Mrs. Johnson arrived with a smile, taking notes as Susan and Greg showed her around their home. She visited with them and Jessie, watched her playing in her room and looked about the apartment, noting that Susan worked at home some of the time, and that Jessie had her own space, bathroom and even some play space off the kitchen. By the time Mrs. Johnson left, she had all positive comments for them about the home they’d provided, the nurturing environment, and Jessie’s obvious attachment to for Greg and Susan. Their love for her was equally evident and Mrs. Johnson reflected that in her report.

Later that same week, the day before their appointment with the embassy and the public defender to discuss the details of their RDW Airlines lawsuit, Greg and Susan received a letter asking them to appear before the family court judge on March second, one month exactly from the date of their initial interview with Mrs. Johnson.

c

 “What do you think Mr. Leung will want after all this time?” Susan questioned as she and Greg made their way to the embassy offices on the bus for their Friday morning appointment on February 22nd.

“I presume they are still gathering evidence in connection with our case,” Greg told her.

“They already have on file all the evidence we’ve already provided to them here, copies of the testimony we gave in the islands, the findings from Ambassador Livingston’s investigations, and the evidence list we left with them there,” Susan reminded him. “What more could we possibly tell them?”

“We won’t know that until they ask,” Greg told her reasonably, as the two entered the building housing the embassy offices.

“Good morning, both of you,” Mr. Leung greeted them in the reception area of the embassy offices.

“Good morning,” Greg answered shaking his hand.

“Please follow me,” Mr. Leung invited.

Susan and Greg accompanied their guide without question as Mr. Leung led them to a conference room. There they found he already had their files spread in front of him on the table. To their surprise, Mr. Talbot from the public defender’s office was also present.

“I hope you don’t mind my joining you this morning,” Mr. Talbot said. “We will be making our own independent inquiries as well, but we thought this would save time.”