Chapter 20 - Baby Boys

Greg came to with his daughter holding his hand, pressing an ice pack against his head, and his friend watching him anxiously from the easy chair. Greg pushed himself to a seated position, trying to bring himself back to the here and now, but it wasn’t easy. Never before had he ever remembered that part. Always when sleeping his dreams ended before or began after this, and as that realization came to him, he understood it was a thing that had been hidden … just as he and Susan had postulated before … there was this important thing, hidden from their collective memories.

Greg closed his eyes, trying to block the vision out as it threatened to overpower him again, but it was no good. The memory was coming from with inside himself. Greg trembled as he struggled back to himself.

“Greg, are you all right?” he heard John ask.

“I’m  … I’m not sure John,” he answered honestly.

“Papa, it’s okay,” Jessie told him. “The baby is all done. There are no more boys.”

“Jessie, the baby is right here,” John told her. “You want to see him?”
            Greg sat up straighter as he caught up with what had actually happened. Susan had come out of the bedroom carrying the newborn to see John. The sun just happened to be coming up, shining through the window behind her at the exact moment  she opened the door. The brilliant orange glow of the sun looked like fire as it came through the bedroom window opposite the door, with silhouette of Susan holding the baby and Jessie there beside her, the three of them stood in the midst of the glow, triggering his vision.

“Okay,” Jessie said.

Greg heard his daughter talking about the baby with John, but still couldn’t quite pull himself together just yet. Finally though, the door opened again, and Susan was there, minus the apron, leaning tiredly against the door frame. The sun was fully up now, leaving only daylight behind her head. The vision was gone.

“Are you all right?” she asked looking at him before coming to kneel by his side.

Greg looked at her and they locked eyes. In that moment, he knew she knew what had happened. Not the details perhaps, but the slip in time which caused him to pass out.

“Katherine,” he said roughly, then in a whisper he added, “I’m sorry, I never knew.”

“You did. You always forgot,” she said in a low tone.

“I won’t this time,” he assured her.

“I know. I think it might have been hidden from you … it was from me too for a long, long time.”

Susan put her hand to the side of his face, cradling his rough cheek. Greg pressed his nose against the inside of her wrist and breathing in. He touched her arm with his hand, assuring himself she was whole and real, bringing him back to himself.

“My apologies,” he said to John as Susan dropped her hand and Greg pushed himself from the floor to the sofa. “I don’t know what came over me just now.”

John just nodded, not sure what he should do.

“You don’t need another patient just now,” Greg added to Susan.

“No, but I’ve got one,” Susan told him. “Just hold the ice your head. Jessie can help you, can’t you, Jessie?”

The little girl nodded as she looked at Greg while Susan turned her attention to John who was still holding his son and was afraid to move.

“You doing alright?” Susan checked.

“I’m not sure,” he told her honestly. “Am I doing this right?”