Is this some kind of joke?

The first thing she realized when she woke up was that her bed suddenly felt a lot softer. The second thing that she was wearing only t-shirt and underpants, instead of her bright red PJ's. Startled, she got up in a fighting position. She looked around, her heart beating a million beats per hour. She was no longer in her own apartment. Instead, she was in a room that appeared to be made for a little kid. She had left all her windows and doors locked the previous night. Who could have abducted her?

Footsteps came from what sounded like a stairway.

"Ella!" shouted an unfamiliar voice.

Her kidnapper knew her name.

She silently walked to the wall next to the door. She would take the man by surprise. It must have been easy for him to take her while she was knocked out, she brooded furiously. This coward was about to find out what he had gotten himself into.

The door opened, to reveal someone she had not quite expected.

"Ella, I tried to make breakfast, but it didn't turn out very well."

The dark-haired man with a moustache stared at her, puzzled. He was wearing a police uniform, but he not look nearly as polished as her dad. Ella stared at him, flabbergasted.

"Why are you standing there?"

She slowly lowered her fists.

"Is this some kind of joke?"

The man kept staring at her.

"I admit I don't cook that often, but I didn't think you'd be that surprised."

Ella took in a deep breath.

"I'll just get dressed."

The man nodded, and left the room, looking relieved.

Ella started blinking rapidly as soon as the man was gone. Maybe that way she would actually wake up. This had to be a dream, right? Why else would she see Charlie Swan?

She looked around again. The posters and little lights, the hideous pink bed, it was all very familiar.

"No," she whispered.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no!"

Ella's hands started shaking.

"Ella, is everything alright up there?"

She coughed.

"Yes!"

No. Everything was not alright. And how did Charlie Swan not realize that she wasn't his daughter.

A thought hit her, and she ran to the mirror in the bathroom. She breathed a sigh of relief. She was met by the same blond hair, contrasted by very, very dark eyes. Usually there as a sense of authority and calmness in her facial expression. Now, she looked like she needed to be sedated.

She had to be having a fever dream, right? Yet, when she put her hand on the cool bathroom wall, she realized she could touch her environment. And when she slapped herself in the face, she could feel that too.

Which meant that, whatever had caused this, it was real.