1. S.T. - I Gotta Ask

Character: Shayne Topp
Requested by: (author-made)
POV: Shayne

-/-/-

Happy endings were never quite my thing. When I was a child, I somehow always enjoyed those video games that didn't have an ultimate end goal, simply because I didn't want the game to be finished. I didn't want to leave something I loved so dearly after reaching a point. So clearly, I enjoyed life better when the stuff I did didn't have a clear finish.

When I applied at Smosh, I never really thought that I would be working there for a long time. In the industry, it's just one job after another. One project after another. If you hit your peak, it's either you climb another or that's the highest you can go. I sincerely believed that I had so much more waiting for me outside of Smosh, but I stayed for plenty of reasons. One of those reasons however...

"Hey, Y/N!" Courtney greets her as she strolls around the office. "Are you doing anything? I was thinking if you wanted to help me in directing this sketch that I planned out. Well, actually, I have something coming up and Ryan really wants this done today. I was wondering if you... wanted to... ya know, direct?"

"Oh, you know me, Court," she assures her, smiling. "If it's for you, yeah, I'm free. Let's get it on!"

Y/N was one of the people Ian hired during the Mythical acquisition, and he always mentions that she was someone we wouldn't even afford to let go of. There's a reason behind that: Y/N was literally something else. Y/N always thought three steps ahead everyone else. Y/N could even predict how well a video could do, and she would even add how to improve it. I wasn't one of the people who was impressed by Y/N, simply because I was jealous that she did everything all with star-studded eyes and smiles. That's when I realized that I didn't come to watch her work on set to be jealous of her; I always did it because I liked her.

Now, of course, we're not very into office relationships here, so I could only watch her from afar. That didn't stop me from admiring her every single day though.

"Oh, Shayne, there you are," she says to me, standing right in front of me before I even knew it. "Courtney had a sketch written, and I'll be directing today. I'll hand you the script as soon as I've copied it."

"Hi," was the only thing I could mumble. "I mean, yeah, yeah, sure. Totally. I'll be there."

"Cool! See you in an hour."

"You too!" I exclaim, my voice a bit high-pitched, and I sigh as soon as she's out of earshot.

I was stuck with sighing to myself all the time, watching Y/N lead Noah and Olivia into their positions in the set right before we started. I didn't like dealing with feelings like this, especially because Y/N was my co-worker. Sure, the benefits of liking your co-worker were plenty, such as seeing them every day, working with them every day, and just generally being in a good mood at work. But that's all it'll ever be. I didn't want to be that person who sneaks around office relationships, because we were all good friends and a family.

"You look stressed out," Monica remarks as she passes by the dressing room.

"Do I?" I ask, running my hand through my hair. "Hey, look, Mon, you're one of the smartest people I know, I gotta ask you something."

"Thanks, and what is it?" she replies.

I try to explain carefully, "Okay, so, let's say I like someone."

"Oh, is it Y/N?"

"What? Nooooo way," I mumble quickly. "No, no, no, nope. What made you think that?"

Monica shrugs casually. "I dunno, I think you've always looked at her a bit weirdly."

"Is it in a bad way?" I say, getting even more worried. "If she's bothered that I look at her all the time, I should apologize to her."