𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟔: 𝐖𝐞𝐥𝐥, 𝐈𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐞𝐢𝐫𝐝𝐨 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐇𝐢𝐦

"Will you leave, or will you carry on?

Is your love, from before still strong?

If you leave, will you keep the memory

That made the night so long, the cut so deep?"

-Broken, Isak Danielson

"𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐎𝐍, 𝐊𝐈𝐃."

Caroline could hear Hopper's voice just barely, like she was underwater. She stared through the darkness at the vacant spot in front of her, where the ambulance used to be.

It had left nearly ten minutes ago, taking WIll's body to the Hawkins morgue. 

And Caroline... just sat there.

Her friends were long gone; Caroline couldn't hear them crying anymore. The small waves lapped up onto the shore like black ink, washing over the rocky beach where countless police officers and state officials stood, talking in tones too quiet for Caroline to hear.

"Let's take you home, okay?" Hopper said from a thousand miles away. Caroline just stared, her eyes unfocused, tears trailing down her cheeks as she rocked back and forth. 

"No," she whispered. She didn't even know what she was saying no to. Everything just... needed to stop. Stop moving, stop changing, stop hurting...

She was shaking so hard that she couldn't stand on her own. Jim Hopper had no choice but to hoist her up himself and carry her to his truck.

He wrapped her in his coat and brushed her sweaty hair out of her eyes, holding back tears of his own as he set her in the passenger seat and watched her curl up into a ball. He made eye contact with his deputies, whose faces were hardened with grief, and there was the silent recognition of what the next step had to be.

He was about to destroy a family.

C.B//W.B

"A trooper found something in the, uh ... water that's at the quarry. Our working theory right now is that Will ... crashed his bike, he ... made his way over the quarry and, uh ... accidentally fell in. The earth must have given way. Joyce? " Hopper was talking slowly and gently to Joyce Byers.

Joyce was staring at a spot in the floor, a vaguely confused look on her face. Behind her, Caroline sat on her sofa with the Chief's jacket still on as Jonathan held her, pulling her into his side and tucking her away, like he was trying to shield her from the world.

It wasn't working.

She had stopped crying what seemed like forever ago.

Now she was just ... numb.