CHAPTER 11: HE FOUND THE CHOCOLATE PUDDING

"Man, oh, man, you're my best friend

I scream it to the nothingness

There ain't nothing that I need"

-Home, Tom Rosenthal

IT TOOK A COUPLE OF MOMENTS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT ELEVEN MEANT BY THE BATH, and Caroline felt horrified when she did

A sensory deprivation tank.

The kind they used in horror movies where they experimented on people.

Caroline couldn't take her eyes off of El during Dustin's phone call to Mr. Clarke. She horrible- couldn't believe she had hated her so much in the beginning. She watched as El sat there next to Mike, looking so small and innocent and she realized, with a start, that Eleven was a little girl, just like her.

A little girl who had been through hell and back, and still stuck around just to help find Caroline's brother, after the latter had been nothing but cold towards her.

Eleven caught Caroline staring and furrowed her brows. "O-okay?"

"Yeah," Caroline said quietly as Dustin finally hung up. "I just... I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" Eleven repeated, looking confused.

Caroline cleared her throat. "Yeah. I'm sorry. For being... mean to you."

"I'm sorry, too," Eleven seemed to struggle to find the words. "For being... lie."

Caroline 's features softened. She made a silent promise to herself that once this was all over- once Will was home and the bad men weren't after Eleven anymore- she would teach El how to be a kid. "Friends?"

The smile that grew on Eleven's face was brighter than anything Caroline had ever seen. "Friends."

Caroline was getting weaker by the second, which meant Will was too.

The boys had to help Caroline climb into the back of Jonathan's car to head to the school when Chief Hopper's gruff voice sounded behind them.

"Caroline, you're coming in my car."

Caroline turned around, confused. "Um... okay."

"Sorry, you're not in trouble. I just talked to your mom and I wanted to have a chat."

Hopper held the door of his police truck and helped Caroline climb in before doing the same on the drivers side. They pulled onto the road, toward the school, when Hopper broke the silence.

"So...what's going on?" he asked.

Caroline shrugged anxiously. "Brother stuck in the upside down, getting worse by the minute, me feeling everything he's going through. The usual."