CHAPTER SIX

(FLASHBACK)

Graduation day… It is the happiest day of my life. Not only because I will be awarded as the First Honorable Mention (award after the Valedictorian and Salutatorian), but because I just received the good news that I was accepted as a scholar of the Mayor’s office. I can attend our public university without worrying about my tuition fee for the next four years. Marge’s wasn’t able to apply on time or pass any other scholarship, but we already have a plan. She will stop for a year and will work together with her mom. She will save up and try applying for a scholarship next year. 

We are all set. I feel like we are close to our dreams that we planned together. The house, the job, the washing machine and all.

I heard my mom called me, so I decided to look one last time in the mirror, fixing my graduation dress. I can’t wait to go to school and see Marge. I know we cannot talk much during the ceremony, but I can’t wait to see her. She will probably have a light make up and will definitely look beautiful with her hair curled up.

I can’t help but to smile on the thought. She’s really the most beautiful girl and I’m lucky that she is mine.

*******************************

“Margie Tuazon!” I heard the principal call her name. The diploma was being handed out and the student together with their parents, are coming up to the stage one by one. I waved at her and she smiled, seeing me in the crowd. I was one proud girlfriend. 

After few more students, “First honorable mention, Dina Ferrer!” I heard my name called out. Going up on the stage with my mom, I heard my classmates “Congratz Dee!!!” shouted in unison. I smiled and waved… I saw Marge with them, who probably instigated the shouting.

After the ceremony, I was looking for Marge in the crowd. I want to see her and give her my gift at least. I know we can’t walk home together because we are with our family.

“Dee!!!” she shouted.

I heard her voice and immediately went to her.

“Hey, I thought I will no longer see you.” I said.

She stopped for a moment looking surprised.

"You are going home with your family, right?” I reminded her.

“Oh, yes… yes…” she answered. I actually called you, to give you my gift.” she continued.

“Really? Me too actually.” I replied sheepishly. 

“It’s not much but this will be useful. I bought it with the money that I saved, so you better take care of it, okay?" She explained handing me a small rectangular box with a cute bow.

“Me too, I bought it with my savings. I hope it fits you. This should remind you of all the promises I need to fulfill, you know.” I explained giving her my gift.

She smiled at me, her eyes tearing up and looking sad.

“Hey, is there something wrong? Do you want to open our gifts together?” I asked, slightly worried.

“No… let’s open it separately.” as she stopped me from opening the box.

“Okay then. We should probably head back to our family too. For sure, my mom is already looking for me.” I reminded her. 

“Come here.” Marge called me opening her arms.

I smiled at the gesture and took her up for the hug. She hugged me tightly and whispered “Congratulations, Ms. First Honorable Mention.” 

I laughed.

“I love you Dee, goodbye.” She whispered, kissing me on the cheek and walk out.

I froze, surprised for a second. “Hey Marge, what do you mean goodbye? We’re meeting at the BIG TREE later, right. Don’t forget, you said 5PM!” I shouted, reminding her of what we’ve talked about as she run away.