Chapter Two: The Party

I slipped on a flowery black sweater, pulled on some ripped jeans, and put on some light makeup and lavender lipstick. I sat at my desk, drawing in my sketchbook, waiting until it was time to go to the party. I was feeling a mix of dread and excitement. I could admit that I wasn't a very sociable person, and I haven't been to many parties. I knew that things may go like they did at the diner, but I was hopeful. Plus, I was going with Parker. At least I wouldn't be alone if my friends bailed on me.

I left my room, bumping into my sister, Makayla, as I did. Her straight hair was curled, she wore a studded leather jacket on top of a white crop top, and black combat books. She had on bright red lipstick and black eyeshadow.

"Woah," I said. "Where are you off to?"

"It's none of your business," Makayla said back harshly.

"Jeez, calm down. If you're going to that party in the forest tonight, I'd suggest wearing something warmer. I've got more sweaters if you-"

"Just fuck off," She grumbled, walking off.

Makayla usually didn't act like that. I didn't know if she was mad at me or just having a bad day, but I decided not to let that exchange ruin my mood. I was going to have fun tonight, no matter what. I was going to come home after having a fun night with my friends and the rest of the summer was going to be just as fun.

I walked over to Parker's house and knocked on the door. After a minute, the door finally opened, and Parker's mother was standing in front of me. Parker didn't look much like her mom, but I still could see the resemblance. 

"Are you here for Parker?" She asked.

"Yeah," I nodded.

She smiled. "Well come in, then. Parker's still upstairs getting ready."

I stepped inside, straight into the living room. The house was small and quaint and smelled of vanilla. The walls had a few pictures on them of Parker and her mom, but none with her dad. There were a few boxes tucked into the corner.

"I'm so glad Parker is making friends," Her mom said. "She was always a bit shy, so I was worried she'd have some trouble, but-"

"Mom, please..." I heard Parker speak.

I turned to see her walking down the stairs. She wore a black-and-white striped dress with black leggings. No makeup. She didn't need it. She already looked so pretty without it, it was unnecessary. Her long hair was up in a ponytail that swung back and forth as she walked.

"H-hey, Parker. Are you ready to go?" I said, nervously.

"Yeah, bye mom."

We walked outside. "Um, the party isn't that far, and I don't have a car, so I was thinking we'd walk?" I said.

"That's fine," She replied. "I like walking."

We walked to the park in silence. I didn't know what to say, and to be honest, I was pretty nervous. It had just occurred to me that Parker could bail on me, too, but like her mom said, she was kind of shy, so she'd probably stick to me the entire time.

When we arrived at the park, you could already hear the music. We entered the forest to the party, where there were already tons of people there. There was a bonfire in the centre of the clearing, and several teens stood around it, drinking. Many others were off in their own groups. I looked around, trying to find anyone I knew.

I spotted Aria talking with a girl named Naomi. Naomi was one of the popular kids at our school. Most people didn't like her as she was pretty stuck up, but many people hung around her because of her family's money. They practically ran Crescent View. I didn't understand why Aria was with her, though. She had hated her since fourth grade when Naomi stuck a wad of gum in her hair and Aria decided then that they were arch enemies. They also didn't get along at all. Aria was a huge nerd who always got good grades, while Naomi was a prissy princess whose parents had to bride the teachers for her grades.