[Tip] Subgenre: Magical Realism

Subgenre: Magical Realism

In Magical Realism, there is no reality nor fantasy in that world. It is neither High or Low Fantasy. The world in this subgenre is still grounded in the real world, but magic is considered normal. Characters in the story with this kind of genre are not even surprised of seeing extraordinary things, unless it exceeds their expectations. Famous books which has Magical Realism includes: One Hundred Years of Solitude, The House of the Spirits, and Midnights Children.

TO WRITE A MAGICAL REALISM STORY:

1. You must write with a Realistic setting. Since Magical Realism is grounded in the real world, you must choose places that are familiar for the readers.

2. Add Magical elements everywhere. Fantastical elements that do not occur in our world, from talking places or objects to dead characters to telepathy, since it is ALL NORMAL in their own world (in the novel).

3. You must limit your information in the story. You should leave the magic in your stories unexplained in order to normalize it as much as possible and reinforce that it is part of everyday life. Think of it as an everyday ritual.

4. Critique. You may use modern issues of our society to be shown in your story as a conflict. Most writers show their opinions with these kind of stories.

5. Build a unique plot structure. "Magical realism does not follow a typical narrative arc with a clear beginning, middle, and end like other literary genres. This makes for a more intense reading experience, as the reader does not know when the plot will advance or when the conflict will take place."

Source: https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-magical-realism

Hope you use these tips and have a great day ahead! Wait next week for the next tip!