Chapter 3: Wonders For The Mind

Maxwell stirred. He was comfortable, which is strange since he never really feels comfortable in his tent. It... Didn't feel like his tent, though. Despite that, he snuggled down into the extremely fluffy pillow, huddled underneath the beefalo blanket, and slowly opened his eyes. Maybe it wasn't his tent... He couldn't really see anything except from a lantern at the corner of the tent, and more blanket, with a second pillow right next to Maxwell's. Nothing was on the pillow, and he convinced himself that despite the fact this definitely wasn't his tent, since the Codex and his coat weren't in here, nobody else was here with him. That was, until he heard something.

He had just closed his eyes and was prepared to sleep again, but when he heard quiet whimpering from next to him, he jolted awake again. What was that?? He stared at the blankets next to him, and to his surprise, there was someone there, crying underneath the blankets. He didn't know what to do, or who it was, so he just sat there awkwardly. The person turned, to face him, uncovering their face from the covers, and the first thing Maxwell noticed, was that they were still asleep and whimpering. Then  he noticed, that said person was Wilson.

Everything was coming back to him now. He'd tried to help Wilson after he ran into a tree, running with Wilson's limp body didn't help with the treeguard situation as he got hurt multiple times. Summoning so many clones to help and keep he and Wilson alive was tiring, and by the time he was done, he passed out in Wilson's arms as he carried him back home. He mentally thanked Wilson for doing that, even after being snarky and rude to him. He felt a lot better too, sanity wise and wound wise. Wilson must've patched up his injuries and let him sleep the shadows away. In Wilson's tent for some reason... Maybe he just wanted to keep an eye on him.

Maxwell sighed and shuffled closer to Wilson. He was very warm. He guessed he was having a nightmare again. Poor man, he always had nightmares. After some hesitation Maxwell shuffled even closer then wrapped an arm around him. He whined loudly, then went quiet. Did that actually work? That very small contact stopped his nightmare? Maxwell didn't exactly believe that, and hugged him closer. "There there, pal... It's okay..." he said quietly, petting his hair. After he said then he closed his eyes and felt Wilson snuggle up with him. He sighed — that was a lot better. He was content now that Wilson was. No more whimpering, and hopefully no more nightmares. "Mmhm... Max..?" He felt Wilson's eyelashes flutter against his clothing as the small man blinked awake. Maxwell hummed in response. "Thank you...." Wilson mumbled quietly then snuggled his face into Maxwell's chest, sighing. He'd obviously woken up after Maxwell spoke then. That was slightly embarrassing, but he pushed back the thoughts and welcomed the snuggles.

Maybe sharing a tent  with him wasn't so bad.