Chapter 2: The Journey

“Wow!” exclaimed Jill in a loud gasp. She stared in amazement at Naari’s smiling face and then shook herself free from the myriad of thoughts running through her fevered mind.

“I have never heard someone declare their love for anyone in such words, Naari!” she added with fervor. The soft evening light spread like a red mantle around the two women engrossed in their talk and Naari nodded with a feeling of great satisfaction.

“It is possible you know to love someone like that. Seraph means the world to me. I can hardly believe that we are married. I feel like the luckiest woman in the world!” she replied with a wide smile across her face.

“I can only hope I am so fortunate when my time comes to settle down and feel the way you do about Seraph.” said Jill, standing up and walking to the edge of the cool inviting pool leaned in and fell gracefully into the rippling waters.

Naari’s words echoed inside her head as she swam across the length of the swimming pool again and again. She wanted to believe that Seraph was such a wonderful person but could anyone ever be that great? She feared for her dear friend and hoped that Naari would always be so happy about her life with her new husband.  Of course Naari had always had a way with words and Jill had always enjoyed listening to her best friend express her feelings and thoughts in her unique and magical way.

“Seraph should be home soon, I’ll start the grill and then he can make some of those amazing steaks tonight.” said Naari to Jill who of course could not hear her. 

Suddenly Jill stopped swimming and pulled herself out of the pool.

“I think I should go home, I just remembered Joe was going to call me tonight. It has been forever since I last talked to him and I don’t want to miss his call.” she said hurriedly as she thought of her younger brother calling her from the other side of the country.

Naari smiled and nodded. Give him my love,” she offered softly and handed Jill and large towel to dry up with. It had been almost a year since he had left for the west coast and Jill’s heart ached to hear his kind and warm voice.

Just then Seraph appeared from behind a large rattan screen that stood in front of the entry door to the pool area. Jill saw him saunter over to Naari in a casual and slow manner. He looked confident and smiled at her while embracing his wife. 

“Naari my love, how have you been today?” he asked in a deep and warm voice. His gaze was intense and Naari melted in his arms. 

“Good, but better now that you are here.” she retorted while placing a solid kiss on her husband’s lips. Jill wrapped herself hurriedly in her large towel and grabbing her bag of sundries waved and left the enamored couple.

One week later:

Seraph raked back his dark thick hair and inhaled deeply of his marijuana joint, while snuggling closer to the lithe young body that lay next to his in the hotel room. Of course this was his dirty little secret among many others and he enjoyed the danger of his extra-marital exploits. Naari did not need to know about what he was doing. Her job was to keep his house clean and be a good hostess and wife and not disappoint him in bed. He was the reason she was able to stay at home and enjoy her role as his well-cared for wife. What he did on his own time was his affair and besides he deserved a good time. He had many different needs and he had always declared his love for the female anatomy. He had been indulging in drugs and alcohol since his early teen years and he was not about to give up any of these pleasurable activities until he saw fit. 

“Come, Bonita- lets get some room service and then get back to “business” he said, slapping the expensive prostitute’s behind and reaching for the bedside phone.  Bonita obliged and pulled herself up and called for room service. She had been to this hotel many times with this good-looking man and he always treated her well. She was almost his mistress but she knew that she was among many other women that took up his time and energy.