Chapter 19

"Why you say it like that?" Ximena cackled. Then, she mocked in an exasperated gasp, "Hee-may-na. Oh shit! Is it really you?"

The smile on her face should've been next to the word inhumane in the dictionary.

"Ximena?" Dmitri whispered and stepped backwards, wanting to create as much distance as possible between them. He didn't hear a word she said as a million thoughts stomped through his brain.

"Who did you think, dumbass? Did y'all really think I went missing in the amusement park I wanted to go to? Who did you think snatched me? The boogeyman?" she giggled as she loosened the tight hood of her jacket and pulled it down to reveal a neat bun at the nape of her neck.

"Why? How?" Dmitri stuttered and stumbled to the back of the couch. He needed to rest for a second.

"I chased Jordan around the amusement park a little then hid till y'all left out. Parked Anisa's car a street over and came here to kill, kill, kill."

Dmitri couldn't close his mouth. "How were you that strong? I mean, you overpowered Desi and Jordan."

"What? Women can't be strong? I can't take you down because I was born with a vagina?" Ximena marched forward with tense fists as if she wanted to power punch him to the ground but calmed down before she could get too close. "But, no, you're right. I had a little help in the strength department."

Dmitri pushed through his dizziness. How would Anisa react if she knew the person who'd been trying to kill her was her best friend, the person she trusted with everything she knew and felt? That betrayal would top even what he had done to her. The heartbreak would just about kill her. No knife or hook needed. Her spirit would suffer exponential depression. He couldn't stand to see that much of her soul hurt. He'd rather die than see her heart hurt that much.

"From who?"

"Demons," Ximena said matter-of-factly.

Dmitri's chin snapped back. "What?"

Ximena nodded and crossed her arms over her chest. "Yep, I got a few demons on my side," she bragged like it was an accomplishment to be proud of. "All those creepy, animal shadows when I was around. The cross falling when I walked by. Y'all really should've paid more attention to that."

She pointed at him like a teacher wagging her finger at a student who failed a test after not listening in class the whole week. Dmitri cowered his head in defeat. Why hadn't he looked more into that? If Desi hadn't filled his head with all that crazy talk about ghosts and horror movies, it wouldn't have seemed so trivial. He was so eager to dismiss what he'd never experienced and never wanted to experience, that it cost the people he loved their lives. But how could he have ever guessed that Ximena was that evil? Possessed with demons at that?

"So, you were possessed the whole time?"

Ximena nodded and threw her hands up in the air. "Yes."

Dmitri didn't know what to do with this information. Would it be stupid to fight her knowing she could tear him to pieces if she really wanted to?

"Why didn't you just kill me then?"

Ximena giggled, shaking her head as if she couldn't believe he could be so stupid. "I didn't want to kill you. I just wanted to have a little fun with you. Still do."

Dmitri held his breath. "Why?"

"Because you've been a bad, bad, bad boy, Dmitri," she laughed, picking the knife up off the ground. "Karma is a bitch."

Dmitri had been so stuck in his thoughts, he didn't even notice where she was walking. She stuck the sharp point in the tip of her index finger and twirled it around like a toy.

"Boo!" She bucked and stuck her tongue out.

Dmitri flinched, making her hoot and holler and clap her hands like she was at an unfiltered comedy show.

"You should see yourself right now," she finished her laugh and shook her head. "You wouldn't believe how weak you look. It looks pitiful on you, so-called gangster."

"Then, why don't you just fucking kill me? I give up." Dmitri threw his hands up and stood up straight. "You're right. I'm a fuck up. I'm a horrible person, and I ruin everyone I touch. So, why not just get it over with it? What do you want from me?"

She curled her fingers out like claws and held her arms out like a zombie. "I want your soul."

"You're evil," Dmitri asserted as he inched towards her. "I might have done some bad shit and been through some bad shit, but you're pure evil. You betrayed your best friend. Anisa was scared for your life, and here you were trying to take hers. I've fought a lot of evil niggas growing up, and I did a lot of evil shit myself. Hell, I've shot at people. But Satan himself must've possessed you, because you are the scariest kind of evil. The kind that has no heart. Not even for the people you love the most."

"She's not the only one."