04. Fear | خوف

Awestruck, agitation and amazement washed through me

They were quick. No wonder why Zahiraah had talked about marriage with me a week ago. A proposal just ready for me when I had mentioned that I'd consider it. I gripped the rim of the box in front of me, my eyes descried at the pearls of the necklace.

A while later as I sat there in silence, I didn't wished to say anything nor did I had words to say. I had mentally prepared myself for this but didn't knew I'd be too numb. This was alright, this was too fine however I had never expected the next words of my Dadi Ammi to be true. It was out of my mind, I could never imagine such inaneness.

"Shaheer and Farheen asked for your hand in marriage for Ahad."

My head automatically snapped towards her, I could feel warm tears casting at the corner of my eyes. Goosebumps raised in my body, making me root to my sit. I tried peeking at her eyes to know the truth behind this proposal.

Was it a business proposal? An alliance where I was traded.

"Dadi A-mmi?"

Too shaky, too shook and too suprised by the words that escaped, I was stuttering. Before I knew, tears had left my eyes; cascading down my cheeks.

I felt Nani Ammi's hand around the back of my palms, too warm to console my tears; It was not enough. "Ahad is a immaculate person for you. He will cherish you for his whole life."

"Your father Ibrahim is burdened with the favour Shaheer had offered years ago. Even though he had completed all the dues, pulled back the business to the right lane; at the end of the day we stand at the same route. Shaheer had a huge hand in helping your father and I wonder if he could deny him."

Numbness; I could not speak. The tiredness had drifted away from my eyes. My mind was all drifted with unleashing thoughts of marriage.

"I know it would be hard. You are going to be his second, you have to look after his daughter like your own but trust me, he would adore you more, he would cherish you like a queen," Nani Ammi's words pierced through my heart and rested in my soul, shedding tears of agony.

I gazed back down at the box in my hand. "—he would love you."

He would love me?

My fear tripled. He would love me? He loved his wife immensely. I deeply wonder if he'd ever talk to me properly. He would loathe my existence for intruding in his life. This was madness, absolute madness.

"He would not. He would never." I mumbled, my voice came out rather muffled due to my tears. This was not me, this was never me.

"It's alright. You can say no. Your parents wanted to talk about it with you. May be, they will after Zohaib's Nikah. You have open choice."