Chapter 14

The sun is up but his body isn't in a groove. He feels lonely. He recalls all the memories they shared. Her smile that brightens up his day. Her voice that harmonized his life. Her caress that soothes his weary heart. Since she left he never felt delight. Each day he lives comes with gloom. Maverick hops in and buries his snoot on Aga's side, whimpering.

"You miss her, too? She went home already. Di na niya tayo maalala", he talks to his pet. Maverick looks at him with sadness in his eyes. He can feel it. Lea used to be his playmate while he is on duty. Like him, Maverick looks lonely these past few days.

"We can't go closer to her, buddy. She and her husband are saving their marriage. Di tayo pwede makialam. Don't worry. Let's just be happy for her. At least she's back on track. Alam mo ba she came back to work after a week of bed rest?", he bitterly laugh. "Ang tigas talaga ng ulo. She needs to rest for few more days pero you know her. Gusto non na parating busy. She looks completely fine the last time I saw her. Nakikita ko naman that her husband is doing everything for her. That's good, right? We will be fine, buddy. At least .... masaya na siya", he strokes Maverick's head. Truth be told, he doesn't know what to feel about it. Once a cheater, always a cheater - he ponders. But he doesn't have the right. Lea is married to Tim while he is just a nobody.

He was just her temporary solace.

○ ○ ○

The museum is one of the tourist spots around the city. He likes to come here and thought of bringing Lea with him one day but that would just remain forever in his memory. It's implausible. This school activity is attended by two different departments but he opted to be the attending prof today. He's been spending so much time in his place recalling what was already gone. He needs to rivet into other stuff or he'd go crazy thinking about her. His students are amused by each art display and relique. He tells them its history and age. Vivian, school dean from other department, keeps on smiling at him while he talks. Henry used to tease him to her before but he never felt anything special about her. She's kind and pretty as well. She has the wit that makes other profs fall for her excluding him. If only heart can be taught, he'd tell it to just beat for someone else. It's tough to go on a day with emptiness inside. He feels lonely each passing day. Henry once told him to have a break for awhile but it won't be of great help. He'd rather drown himself from work and exhaust his mind from other stuff. In such way, he could lessen his time thinking about Lea. He accepted subject loads this summer though at first he declined. It's the only idea he has in mind to divert his attention.

But it's really tough trying to forget someone who would show up in a heartbeat.

He turned around and in an instant he saw the woman of his dream. She observes display from one thing to another. As he talks more of historical findings to the students, his eyes keep on glancing at her beauty. He could almost hear his own heartbeat upon seeing her again. If only she is not owned by someone else then maybe he could say this is a work of fate who brought them here. But it's not. It never will. This is enough. At least he sees her though from afar. He knows the line between them. He should keep his distance but this might be one of the rare chances he can get to see her again. To be near her one more time. He stares at her while his feet is leading him to her once again. His heart is pumping in full happiness. If he could only grab her for a hug. Kiss her like he did before.

"1800. That was found in an isolated place by local farmers", he explains as she gazes to one of the historical displays.

She feels her heart skip a beat. That voice rings a bell. It is so familiar but she cannot recall where and when. She remains her back facing whoever that man is but his scent. A lovely scent that sends shiver down her spine.

"S-sorry. I used to visit here kaya kabisado ko na ang history nito as well as for the rest of the displays. Kumusta ka na .... Mrs. Thompsons?", he asked.

I miss you, babes. If I could only hug you. Feel your skin to mine. But you don't remember me anymore. So here I am. Pinagkakasya ang kaonting minuto na makasama ka ulit. Makita ka kahit saglit. Makausap ka man lang kahit ilang segundo.

Words that he wishes to say but that won't matter anymore. Her happiness matters the most for him even if it's not him that her heart beats for.

She turned around and sweetly smiled. "Hey. Uhm. Heto. I'm doin' fine. Mr. Aguilar, right?"

"Yeah. Well, I'm glad to hear it. Mmmmm. Is Mr. Thompsons around, too?", he asked though he knows that Tim isn't supportive of what she loves doing.

"No. Ako lang mag isa. How about you? Are you with ...", she's cutt off when someone interrupts them.

"Nandito ka lang pala", Vivian slithers her arm on his.

And that beating of her heart pumps faster. It stings like million of needles pierced through her heart upon seeing that woman next to him. She can't name this weird rhythm.

"Oh. Do you know each other?", Vivian asked Aga.

"She's Mrs. Th ...", he's cutt off by her.

"I have to go. Excuse me", she walked out before her heart would burst into pieces. It's getting heavier as she sees them both. She doesn't know him that much. In fact, they met for very few times only but this feeling .... this heartbeat is unbelievably out of tune. It affects her the rest of the day. She can't get over it. No matter how she tries to rescind it through her mind but she can't. Her hands itched to grab that woman out of the place without knowing herself why.

What is happening to you, Lei?

Suddenly she feels Tim kissing her neck. His lips travel up to hers. Owning it. Enjoying. This is used to be her therapy. His attention is relaxing her troubled mind.

But it doesn't have the same effect anymore.

She stopped him when he pulls down the hem of her shorts. "Tim, stop. Not now please. Maybe next time". Her husband nods. She faced her back at him and shut her eyes. This feeling is kicking around since she saw Mr. Aguilar with someone. It weirds her out.