Part Two, 1879: Chapter Fourteen

November 20th, 1879, Houston, Texas, Lincoln Boarding House

Pete was kicked in the knee, hard enough to wake her up, but not to hurt her. She leapt from the floor to her feet and scrambled for her hat as it skidded across the floor. Lincoln chuckled as he picked it up for her and handed it over.

"Whatcha doin' sleepin' out here, Mister Pete? Were you waiting on Missus Covington?"

"Uh, y-yeah." Pete put her ivy cap on her head and yawned with a stretch. "She hired me yesterday for some protect--"

"Um... She left, Pete."

"What?" Pete opened the door to Alice's room and scanned the empty space. There was no trunk and no Alice. She turned back to Lincoln who looked surprised. "Where did she...?"

"She had to head to the train platform."

"What time is it?"

Lincoln pulled out his pocket watch just as Pete did. "About nine-forty, Mister Pete."

"I'm so sorry, Lincoln, but I have to run! I'll visit again in the future, friend!" She ran to the stairs and took them two at a time.

"O-Okay, Pete! Travel safe, sir! And don't be a stranger!" She heard Lincoln call from behind, yet didn't bother with a reply.

Pete wasn't ever planning on visiting Houston again, no matter how kind and gentle of a man Lincoln was or the empty promises she made. It would have been nice to visit him again, but as long as his business was in Houston, she would not be coming back. Unless it was to ruin Rich and scare him back to Galveston once more. She had half a mind to do just that already, turn toward his building and rain hell on him, but if she did, then Alice would get away. Pete would never know if she was safe or not. That wasn't going to happen.

How had Alice even gotten past her this morning? Had she really become that heavy of a sleeper or were her instincts beginning to fail her?

Pete leapt from the front steps of the boarding house and untied Temperance from the rein post. She hopped up into her saddle and clicked her tongue, aiming straight for the train terminal. The ringing she could hear declared they were a bit behind schedule, but she was sure they wouldn't wait for her.

"Come on, Temperance! Get goin', girl! Yah!"

The palomino picked up her speed as she galloped around pedestrians walking along the early morning muddy streets. A few people hurled insults at Pete, complaining of mud or telling her to watch herself, but she didn't let it stop her. She steered Temperance toward the loading dock and saw the tail end of the train pulling away from the farthest end of the deck. With another click of Pete's tongue and no more obstacles in their way, Temperance moved even faster.

That's my girl!

Pete was soon at the back of the train and reached out. The railing of the back platform was so close. She was within arms distance of Alice, but could she really do this. It was clear from last night that Alice wanted nothing more to do with her. Pete had even cried in front of her and all her nerves were tattered, falling apart and scattering in the wind. Alice showed no sign of relenting her anger toward her...but if she left now, she'd be giving up the chance to remedy that hate. She'd lose the opportunity to turn that spite back into what she hoped had been and what in the future could be love.

"Goddamn it all!" Pete cried out and latched onto the railing.

Temperance slowed and Pete was pulled from her saddle with such a force her shoulder cried out in pain. She winced, but didn't let go. She couldn't. Not again. Not ever.