Chapter 9 - Evelynn

“Sophia, do you know where you’re going?” I ask as we’re walking through a field, it reminds me of when we were kids.

“Come on Evelynn it’s usually you that leads us into something stupid, just trust me if we cut across here we’ll get to Noah’s much quicker,” she says.

We have been walking for about 20 minutes before we finally come to a small hole in a bush. “You can’t expect me to go through there,” I say as Sophia laughs.

“Don’t be so chicken!” she says and I follow her through the small hole in the bush and we end up on a street.

“There it is,” she says as she points to a house just to the left of us.

We walk up a short path and I knock on the front door. “This better be the right house Sophia!” I finish talking just as the door opens.

 “Wow, Evelynn, you look amazing!” Noah says as he stares at me.

Sophia clears her throat as loud as she can interrupting our eye contact.

“You look nice too, Soph,” he says as he smiles.

“Yeah, thanks for that Romeo, but I didn’t want a compliment, I want to be able to get through the door but you love birds are in the way,” Sophia says and I laugh at her comment.

“Oh, sorry,” Noah says as he moves out of the way.

“Thank you,” Sophia says as she walks past and smiles, leaving myself and Noah standing in the doorway.

“You really do look amazing!” he says, taking my hands in his as I look up into his eyes and smile shyly at the compliment.

“Thanks, you don’t look so bad yourself,” I say, as I spot a glint of humour in Noah’s eyes.

“I have something to tell you I didn’t tell you before now because it never came up.”

 “What is it?” I ask, worrying about what it is he’s going to say.

“It’s nothing bad, well unless you don’t like soldiers.”

“You’re a soldier?” I ask.

 “Yes.” He nods and looks at me as if he is seeking approval.

“And Charlie?” I ask.

“Yes.”

“Does, Sophia know?”

“She does.”

“Well,” I pause. “Okay then.”

“Okay? As in you’re okay with me being a soldier.”

“Of course I am,” I say as I smile and he smiles back.

“Well we should probably get inside before those two start thinking the worst.” And, as if on cue I hear Charlie shout from inside.

“Come on you two love birds, can we at least eat before you christen the doormat!”

A boyish grin graces Noah’s face and I laugh, my face reddening at Charlie’s words.

“After you.” Noah gestures his arm in an exaggerated fashion, leading me inside.