 ii. arrogance

CHAPTER TWO.

 HAZEL PROCTOR WANTED TO BANG her head against the table when James Potter slid into the empty seat next to Lily Evans

 HAZEL PROCTOR WANTED TO BANG her head against the table when James Potter slid into the empty seat next to Lily Evans. She wanted to get through the year without the boy being on her mind, but the universe clearly had different plans— the boy was simply every where she turned her head. At least, her night wasn't completely doomed as she was squished between Marlene and Sirius, with Remus on the other side of his boyfriend. Maybe her first night back at Hogwarts wasn't completely ruined.

She turned her head towards the end of the Great Hall as their Headmaster began their Sorting Ceremony. There had only been a handful of new students this year; Hazel had noticed how the numbers dropped each year, a lot of people were terrified to start families when He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named started to rise into power. Truthfully, Hazel couldn't blame them. As long as these students didn't create a hat-still, the quicker Dumbledore could begin his Welcome speech and the quicker they could eat.

Sirius groaned, and made an off comment each time a first-year stepped and he noticed the name, and usually commented about their pure-blood families. He sometimes made a joke, and it would make Hazel snicker while Remus and Lily just glared at the two. Although, Sirius and Hazel weren't best friends, the two liked cause trouble occasionally (usually if James was unavailable and Remus refused due to prefect duties).

"Shut up!" Lily hissed, as she threw a crumb across the table at Hazel and Sirius. "You're both going to be the death of me!"

Remus rolled his eyes as Sirius snickered. Hazel bit down on her lip, and attempted to refocus on the ceremony. Her eyes swept over her friends and the table, effectively landing on James, and her plan to actually focus had been ruined. She sighed softly, and placed her chin into her palm as she began to admire the boy. She knew her plan was to focus on Quidditch this year, and not worry about the boy that across the table from her, but nobody said she couldn't admire him.

"Maybe if you keep staring at him, he'll fall under your love spell." Sirius whispered into her ear. Hazel didn't glance at him before her hand whacked him in the chest. "Hey!"

Lily sighed as she looked over, "Do you two ever behave when you sit next to one another?"

"No," Remus answered for the pair, also annoyed with his boyfriend's antics. "It's why all the professors have banned them from sitting next to another in lessons."

Hazel scoffed, but couldn't help the grin as she playfully glared at all her friends. "You yell at me when all I do is Quidditch, but I get yelled when I have fun. I can't win!"

Sirius laughed, "No, we live to torture you."

"There's enough torture in my family history, Black." Hazel muttered as she rolled her eyes, "Thanks though."