Epilogue

Friday, December 17th

On the last day of school, Miss Graham dismissed the class over the final bell. Every one of her students was thrilled! Alexander Kahn hopped with joy for Santa's arrival. Tina Turner bragged of all the dollies that were going to be underneath the Christmas tree. All the kids left jolly. Everyone but Timothy, who had nothing joyful waiting for him at his house.

As he left for the hallway, he seemed to have heard someone call out his name. At first, he thought it was Peter Lagerfield, who wouldn't stop mocking him for acting like a girl. But the voice called out again. "Timothy!" He turned around and saw Miss Monique, the French counselor, with a heavy accent he loves to listen. She walked toward Timmy, the only adult in a crowd of middle-schoolers. "There you are, sweetie! Could you come to my office? You received a letter!" She said, but all Timmy could hear were the unbelievable words.

You received a letter. How come? Timmy never got his secret Santa during class. He wanted to send one to Philip, the cute boy with the short, perked blonde hair but chickened out.

Monique's office was a sanctuary of French memorabilia and owls. She loves owls, had a collection of figurines and portraits inside her cubicle fit for a chair and a desk. She opened a drawer and pulled out a sealed envelope. It wasn't red or green like the letters the other kids received. It had no glitter. No bow. No address.

It showed no sign of being opened, although it didn't shock Timmy that Monique might have peeked beforehand.

"I'll leave you alone so you can read it. OK?" Miss Monique said with a warm smile. Timmy nodded as she left him on the thin-legged office chair. The same, familiar seat Timmy drew tears, barely speaking more than two words.

He ripped the letter carefully and pulled a piece of paper. And then he started reading. 

Timothy

You and I, we are both special. We see colors, all shades. Our blood bleeds the same. You remind me of yourself when I was younger. Always felt the need to make Mom and Dad proud, even if that meant ignoring my heart. I am just like you. We might have different lifestyles, but your heart is set in the same direction as mine. And that is OK. You are not damaged. You are much braver than you know. You are a warrior with different feelings. You inspire me to become a better person! I hope you can return the favor someday.– Heath Walter

When Timmy finished reading, he started crying. There was someone out there who understood him. It wasn't the same when Monique told him exactly how worthy Timmy is. This letter came from someone who was just like him. Timmy didn't recall knowing a Heath Walter in his class, but he does remember that one guy who replaced Barbara at church class.

Heath Walter.

Timmy read the note again before sliding it back inside the envelope, feeling blissed with the fact that he is not alone. Knowing that he is loved, forever, and always.