Chapter 5. Hero of the People

Venturing further into the renovated well, Roehath takes the lead, making his armor shine so they can see.

"Pretty sweet huh?" Roehath asks.

Jaz rolls her eyes. "If you want to be a more obvious target." She mutters, placing a hand on her dagger.

Roehath shrugs. "I can turn it off if you like."

Jaz puts her hand on his shoulder, pointing to a dim light coming from around a corner. "Might be a good idea."

Roehath's armor returns to normal as they duck into a hole in the wall. When the light gets closer and passes, they see it is a hooded, faceless figure with boney hands. 

Jaz looks at Roehath, once it is out of sight. "Is that thing undead?"

Roehath nods. "When it comes to underworld dealings, you will see all manner of undead, demi-humans, demons, etc."

Roehath starts out into the hall, but Jaz stops him.

"What kind of demi-humans?" She asks, as her eyes narrow.

Roehath looks back with an eyebrow raised. "Does it matter?"

Jaz lean closer. "Depends. Are we talking about magic casting elves, super-strong werewolves, bloodthirsty vampires?"

Roehath covers his mouth, as he begins to laugh. "No. Elves wouldn't lower themselves to deal with slavers.. Werewolves avoid cities and therefore are less likely to be around here. But Vampires would absolutely deal in slaves.. for the blood." Roehath thinks for a moment. "Likelihood are lizard, dog, and other various animal people."

Jaz smiles. "Sounds like fun."

"You have a weird idea of fun." Roehath replies, in a whisper, as they continue down the hall.

They pass a few cells, where slaves are sleeping. Further in, they find a door marked "death".

Jaz sighs. "I got this one." pushing open the door.

On the other side, a woman sits behind a desk. Her long black hair contrasted by her bronze skin. She looks up at Jaz with hazel eyes. 

"What business do you have here?" She asks.

Jaz smiles. "I am looking for the boss. Could you point me in the right direction?"

The lady points in the direction they have been heading. "Straight to the end."

Jaz closes the door slightly, so Roehath is out of sight. "You wouldn't happen to be this world's grim reaper, would you?"

The woman, now annoyed by Jaz's presents, nods. "And I am very busy, so if you don't mind, I must be getting back to work."

The door swings open and Jaz is forced back, the door slamming just short of her face.

Jaz growls and then relaxes. "Well.. at least we know where to go now."

"You just have a natural way of dealing with the supernatural, don't you?" Roehath asks as they continue down the hall.

Jaz shrugs. "I honestly have nothing to truly fear. I already died in my world. This is like an afterlife vacation."

Roehath stops. "That is the second time you mentioned that so casually."

Jaz stops and looks him in the eye. "It is no secret that I am not from this world. Is it such an uncommon thing to assume my world no longer has a place for me to go back to?"

Roehath looks away awkwardly. "I.. guess I just assumed the best."

Jaz continues past him. "We can't always have the best, no matter how hard we wish for it."