The New World

The King sat in front of Polly and Tee-jay who were seated on a cushion of leaves each.
"We must go over some things before you both depart tomorrow."
"We're all ears although I'm awful at remembering stuff sometimes so Tee take notes."
"I'll use my air pen."
"Good idea."
"I love how you understand my jokes Poll."
"First thing!" The King interrupted. "We have made use of the past five months, mass burials, endless rubble and disease. Miss Asiri you are immune and for the immunity of your friend here he will need to swallow a drop of your blood."
"Fine but erm, what about other people?"
"Yeah like my family."
"We know exactly where they are, our pheromones are keeping the disease away from them, as soon as possible they must drink her blood too."
"Hey mom, dad drink my pal's blood...I don't think that would work."
"Think of something if you value their long term survival."
"I've got an idea." Polly cut the top of her thumb, squeezing a thimble of blood from it. "Drink up Tee."
He looked at her funny for a minute.
"Hurry up."
"Okay what the hell."
Tee-jay sucked the blood from her thumb, swallowing it.
Polly licked her thumb, the wound sizzled and closed.
Tee-jay winced. "Doesn't that hurt?"
Polly shook her head nonchalantly. "Nope, Just tickles a bit."
"So your idea."
"I'll just put my blood in some 'home made' juice. If Kingy says it's important than I'd listen to him Tee."
"That idea should work."
"Don't expect your fast foods or fancy restaurants anymore either."
"Fire still exists and I can cook anything." Polly gave the thumbs up.
"Mass graves will spread their disease quicker, our pheromones will keep the people safe for now but that's temporary until we decide differently."
"Wow so are these open graves?" Tee-jay asked.
"Yes, a warning to others."
"They might finally wake up, enlighten their senses although yeah some still won't get the message. They'll choose anger and revenge over acceptance and education." Polly frowned.
"Humans like their wars." Tee-jay added.
"We'll deal with them when we need to. You'll both have to adapt to the new world, in ways your dad too, we all will."
"I'll be fine, this is what I've been waiting for."
"Yes Miss Asiri but think about your friend here, it won't be so easy for him."
"He's got me, right Tee? You'll be fine, and we can't change anything now."
"I'm lucky to have you as a friend Poll, for real."
"I'll speak to you both in the morning, until then I will leave you both to your business for the day." The King stood up then disappeared out of sight.
"I'd better get the truck ready, I've got to check the pressure, our fuel..." He was getting worked up.
"Calm down Tee, by the morning we'll have everything figured out. I'm keeping the Schofield though."
"Keep the Cattleman's rifle too, if my store is still in tact I'll get you stocked up. I don't even know what I'll be doing to survive now."
"We will figure it out together, I won't be coming back here until I know you'll be fine. I'll always keep a phone on me for you too, you're the only person I'd need it for, oh and maybe uncle Naser too."
"Thanks, I honestly don't think I could do it without you."
"We're there for each other, always." Polly spat on her hand and held it out.
Tee spat on his hand and they shook, laughing, the birds on her shoulder made laughing noises too.
"Right then, you can help me check everything is in order for the morning."
"It's better than daydreaming about a cheese pizza at least."
"One massive cheese pizza will be coming your way in Ohio."
"That's my fee, done deal."
"Extra cheese." Tee-jay winked.
"Mmmmmmm."
"Come on before you start drooling over your shirt." Tee-jay laughed again.
"Yeah I do that a lot."
"When I wake you up most mornings to get you up you've got drool on your lips."
"I dream about chasing pizzas, they run away but I always get them in the end."
"That explains it and the mumblings of 'come here you beautiful creature'."
"Do I say that?"
"Maybe." Tee-jay smiled.
Polly play punched him. "I don't."
"Let's daydream about that pizza later, I want to get everything in order and early to bed."
"Early to bed?"
"Early start Poll."
"Not too early."
"7 a.m."
"What? Who gets up that early?"
"A good breakfast you'll be fine."
"What an apple and some blackberries?"
"Just think about the pizza."
"I am every second."
A few hours later they had prepared for the morning ahead. They told a few stories by a fire, despite Polly's protests she fell asleep before Tee-jay, he put her to bed and let the darkness take him a while later.
Tee-jay awoke Polly around 7a.m. His body clock had never let him down. They both ate and when they were almost ready to leave the King came to them.
"Dawed Asiri come to us." The King called.
The birds came together and Dawed became a solid form.
"You'll be keeping a keen eye on your daughter I assume."
"Every step of the way I'll be following her, I made that promise and I won't break it."
Polly hugged him. "I know, so you'll be coming with us?"
"I'll be following you from the skies. Tee-jay look after her, I'll be keeping an eye on you too, I can always be a messenger between the two of you."
"Sweet, but how would you know if I needed you?"
Dawed gave Tee-jay a figurine of a blackbird. "You talk to this, one for you too." He gave another one to his daughter. "I have to go now but anytime you need me I'm there."
He exploded back into the many birds circling the sky.
"Thank you." Polly said to the King.
"Come back safely." He disappeared.
"Time to go." Tee-jay told her.
They got in his truck and slowly made their way out of the woods.