Sneaking Out - Emmett Forrest

I look at the clock on my nightstand. It flashed 1:37 am. I sighed and let the tears flow. For the past few days, my boyfriend, Emmett, has been leaving in the middle of the night, right when I fall asleep, and doesn't get home until really late in the night. He never tells me the next day where he went; it's not like him. We tell each other everything and never keep any secrets. I decided that tonight would be the night where I confront him about it.

At 2:12 am, I hear the door open with quiet footsteps walking into the room. When my boyfriend walks in, I turn on the light and look at him. He stops mid-step and looks at me like a deer in headlights. "What and where have you been going the past few weeks?"

"What do you mean? This was the first time I've left in the middle of the night, and it was just for a walk-" Emmett starts to say.

I shake my head and start crying harder, "No, stop lying to me. You know you've been sneaking out every night. I want to know why." Emmett starts thinking for a second, and I shake my head and start to raise my voice. "Do you know how bad this looks?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm not doing anything bad. I promise you that." Emmett says, walking over to me.

I shake my head and push him away. "I know you're cheating on me, Emmett. Let's face the facts."

Emmett looks at me with hurt in his eyes. "Y/n, I promise, I am not cheating on you. You know I love you."

"If you weren't cheating on me, you wouldn't be lying to me, and you'd tell me where you have been."

"I told you, I haven't been cheating on you," Emmett says, starting to raise his voice. It scared me a bit. He rarely raises his voice at anyone, much less me. Emmett looks at my scared expression and softens his face a bit, looking at me concerned. He sighs, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that. It's just-" he sighs once more, rubbing the back of his neck, "Ok, at about 7 o'clock this evening, I'll take you to where I've been."

I eye him, still skeptical, but nod. "Let's get to sleep then, you better not be lying to me, Emmett." The boy nods and changes into pajamas, and we go to sleep.

The next day when I wake up, I'm still kind of mad at Emmett for not telling me what he's been doing. The only reason I'm going is that I've known him for a while, and I don't think he would cheat, but there's a first time for everything, I guess.

That evening, I get ready and wait for Emmett to finish getting ready. Once he leaves the bathroom, he's dressed up and looks anxious. "Why do you look so nervous?"

"Me? Nervous? What? I'm calm. I'm chill. I'm cool. Cool as a cucumber. I'm-" Emmett rambles.

"Ok, you're not, and I don't know why, but the suspense is killing me, so let's go," I say with a smile, giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's been setting something nice up the past few nights he's been out.

After about a 10-15-minute drive, we end up at a park that looked like people haven't been to in a long time. I look at him, confused, but he ushers me out of the car and grabs my hand and takes me farther into the woods. We walk in comfortable silence for a few minutes until a small gazebo with beautiful decorations comes into view. I stopped walking for a second and covered my mouth in awe.

Emmett looked at me, rubbing his neck, smiling. "So, you like it?"

I turn to look at him, and I hug him tightly, "I love it."

We end up sitting in the gazebo and having a picnic until it gets late in the night. I yawn and stand up and look around. I turn back to Emmett, and he's on his knee. I gasp.

"Y/n, I've known you for exactly four years now, yes, I counted," He says with a small laugh. "Anyways, I used to believe that love, at first sight, was a myth, but then I met you, and I knew it wasn't. Every day, I fall more and more in love with you if that's even possible. We have our ups and downs, but I've loved you even through them, and I could imagine living a moment more without you forever in my life. I love you so much. Will you marry me?" Emmett asked.

I stand there, unbelieving any of this was happening.

After a second of just standing there stunned, I nod with tears running down my face. "I love you so much. I'm sorry I didn't trust you."

Emmett stands up and wraps his arms around me tightly and nods. "And I'm sorry I made you feel like that."

We stand there hugging for a few minutes until I heard a voice say, "You've been standing there for like 15 minutes, start getting to the car before a serial killer comes out of the woods and murders you or something."

I look up and see Elle standing there with a camera. I turn to my now fiancé, and he rolls his eyes, "Elle helped me set this up."

I nod and smile. I know that this will be a day that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

Thank you @cooladelime  for the idea! I hope it didn't disappoint you too much lol! I'm currently in rehearsal for A Christmas Carol so many apologies if I don't update a lot, but I promise I won't abandon this book. Don't forget to leave requests! Byeeee!!!