Chapter 4 The Truth

Even after I was out of the water and standing behind him; because I told him to turn around so I could get dressed; my mind was still reeling. I know my father could never do such a drastic thing. He wasn't completely heartless or was he? I tapped him on the shoulder letting him know that he could turn around now.

"But I don't remember any of this, why was he on trial?"

Blake glumly said, "He was on trial for the murder of Queen Catherine."

My face transformed into a look of horror. I was repeatedly shaking my head, tears were now streaming down my cheeks. Blake looked sorry he told me.

"No, no I was with her when she died. It was a wild animal, it was a wild animal! I'm so sor--"

"It doesn't matter, he's dead, thanks to you."

"What, how could you blame me for such an awful thing. I didn't want him dead."

He was now shaking with anger, "No, but you didn't do a damn thing about it to help him. I begged you--"

"Begged me I don't know what it is you speak of Blake. You must have me confused with--"

But as I said it I started to remember what he was refering to. I saw a young boy a little more older than I was, seemingly invisible within the throngs of the crowd reached out and grabbed me begging me to save his father. He was so scared, so desperate I almost understood his pain.

"But I-I tried, he --"

"You tried- you tried, my father's life was in your hands and YOU TRIED?!!" I cringed at the tone of his voice as he yelled.

"I-I did-I did speak with my father about it, but he would not listen to me - Blake you must believe me." Tears were still streaming down my face. But he no longer cared.

"I believe that you did not try to save my father. The king would have listened to you. How could he not, you are his young, beautiful daughter, how could he resist your charms? He could not. He would not. Therefore, you did not try. And the way you can just stand there and lie to my face disgusts me."

He said I was beautiful, my cheeks were turning a bright pink, but he also said I disgusted him. But I am telling the truth I did speak to my father. I tried my best to persuade him to waver his decision. But he would not have it, he wouldn't even look at me or acknowledge that I was there pleading with him not to destroy this man's family by taking his life. But he simply brushed me off as if what I had to say did not matter.

"You are a coward princess and I want nothing more to do with--"

I slapped him hard across his face so hard that his cheek instantly turned red and inflamed.

"I am no coward. I did as you asked of me Blake. If my father did not listen to me it is not my fault. And of all people you should understand. My father has no love for me as you do of yours. My father--"

"That is not true, my father has told me stories about how King George III is so blessed to have had such a wonderful family. He told me that--"

"Well your father was mistaken, my father only loves his new family now. Ever since my mother died he has completely disowned me. He has not spoken to me since her last breath. I have tried so many times to speak with him but he would not have it. And now that his new bride has filled his head with pretty little tales about me he no longer sees that I even exist. I could guarantee he would have me hanged for my mother's death if it weren't for me being his child."

I decided to dig deeper to make sure that there would be no more doubt between us.

I said through clenched teeth, looking him into his beautiful serene blue-green eyes, "Before I left, before I left Arcadian my father said to me for the first time in 10 years that I was practically dead to him just like my mother. That I was just a ghost forever haunting him. So I packed my things and left. And now I am here being insulted by the almighty King Blake who knows absolutely nothing about the home I left behind." It was then Blake's turn to be shell-shocked. His whole face went an ashen white except for the handprint on his cheek where I had slapped him. I then walked away not wanting to hear or talk anymore. I went back to the palace where I went to bed without supper and went to my new rooms and fell into a deep sleep.