Chapter Four

"... What are you talking about Buck?"

"Steve, Hydra found me... Can you help Ayla? I need to leave, I need to get away before they trace me back here I can't let them get you all-"

"Barnes, you need to calm down, you know we can protect you from Hydra."

"You don't know that Stark."

I open my eyes only to be blinded by the lighting above me. Pain still present in my arm but much duller than before. Trying not to get anybody in the rooms attention I slowly turn my head in the direction of the voices. To my surprise I recognise the two other men in the room. Captain America and Iron Man are standing right next to my bed. Confusion quickly replaces everything else I feel as I blinks multiple times to be sure that what I am seeing is right. I don't remember hitting my head but maybe I did just before James got to me.

James has noticed me awake but doesn't want to alarm anybody straight away, his expression cold and distant, distrust creasing in his brow. He blames me for what happened in the cafe, I can tell he regrets having agreed to coffee. His jaw clenches to keep himself in control of his emotions and looks away from me. The guilt I feel hurts more than any injury, distracting me from the fact I am in a room with Heros. He was right when he said I had not idea of the kind of friend he had, I certainly had no suspicions his friends would be the avengers. I can't even find myself thinking about that though as I was James slowly step further away from me. I want to tell him I had nothing to do with it and am just as confused and angry as he is right now. I can tell he won't hear me though even if I try to plea my case, now thankful he even stopped to help me.

"Barnes," another voice sounds from down the hall followed by running footsteps, everybody in the room turns their head to the doorway, slightly breathless from his run Sam Wilson A.K.A The Falcon points at the TV at the other end of the room, "you're famous."

Steve takes the remote from beside my bed and turns on the television and the whole room holds their breath as they see Barnes' faces plastered on the screen with armed and violent written in bold letters. James feels his heart sink and panic begin to rise as he watches in horror the story unfolding in the news.

Guilt starts to set in even worse now, not only had someone tried to take Barnes' life he is being framed for it despite doing nothing but run out of there as fast as he could. I was the one who did all the damage, the one who stood over the waitress as she chewed down on the cyanide pill. I was the one who took James there in the first place, all of this is my fault, for the selfish reason of intruding into his life and for what?

Whoever is after him must have found him and planted agents nearby in hopes he would some day venture into their trap. Without realising it I have walked him right into their trap. The news caster warning the public about his being dangerous, his pardon being revoked after this attack. Barnes turns towards me an uncontrollable rage strewn across his face. His bright eyes darkened with murderous intent. Despite the fact he is charging himself at me violently I simply accept my fate, part of me accepting that I deserve whatever he has in mind right now.

"You..." He growls as he looks me dead in the eyes, every muscle in his body ready to attack, a loud metallic whir sounds from him, "you planned this didn't you?"

"Easy Buck-" Steve steps forward placing a hand on his friends shoulder which James instantly shrugs off and continues to step forward, grabbing me by the throat and pulling me upright so that our faces are so close I could feel his body heat. My heart accelerates as it tries to pump oxygen around my body, a spike in my adrenaline levels spurring it into rapid action, as I stares into Barnes' bloodlust filled eyes.