Scene 4 | The Art Of Confrontations

Annie walked proudly into Greendale cafeteria. Today, she was feeling well and strong. And then, she saw Jen. And she was feeling, not so well but definitely strong.

"Hey you", said Annie with an awkward street accent.

" Hey, how are you feeling ?" asked nicely Jen.

Annie was ready. She had prepared her speech like one of those debating championships.

" I don't have a problem with Jeff. Ok ? Our relationship is important to me, but I'm not looking for some type of attention, and what we have is special, he is not playing with me and I definitely do not seek attention, so you can keep this smirky tone with you when you walk through that door." All those words, in 54 seconds. Yeah, it needed to be said.

" Oh wow. You're actually not brave but completely out of your mind. I like that. By the way, I never said that what you and Jeff had wasn't special or real. I just said that it wasn't love" respond calmly but also with a tiny smile Jen.

Annie looked confused "What do you keep insulting me and my intelligence. Am I some sort of joke to you ?"

This time, Jen lost all smiles and was getting really serious. "Oh my god, you have no idea. Absolutely no idea. I thought it was brave to say those things to someone hitting on you, and then I thought it was completely insane to continue so."

Blank.

"You what now ?" said so abruptly Annie, that she almost spit some of her green matcha.

"Okay, don't need to be rude. I can take a no" sighed Jen.

"No, no, no I didn't mean to...I mean...Like...Let me...Just....", she kind-of-said-but-really-it-was-more-mumbling awkwardly.

Annie was all confusion and no words. Was she dreaming ? Are those some jokes ? She wasn't actually surprised because Jen was a woman, but because she was so direct, so honest, so not Jeff.