birthday party

heeyeon opens the door and sees eunae standing alone behind it.

"oh. hey. where's shithead?" heeyeon cranes her neck out to check if seulgi could be around.

eunae smiles. "i'm alone. seulgi's downstairs waiting in the car."

"oh. you wanna come in?"

"no need. i just dropped by to give you this." eunae hands over a small card. "i'll have a small birthday celebration this thursday. hope you could swing by. it's dinner time."

heeyeon glances at the card. "sure. if it's free food, i won't let it pass."

eunae chuckles. "seulgi was right when she said you'd say that."

"ahh. i miss that bear. what's she been up to lately? i haven't seen her around here for days."

"well, we're sleeping over at my parent's place for three days now," eunae says. "my grandma got discharged yesterday from the hospital. i want to make sure she's getting monitored properly."

"i see. i see. glad your grandma recovered quickly."

"yeah. thanks." eunae points a thumb towards the elevator area. "so, i'll see you this thursday, okay?"

"yup. you take care. please send my regards to seulgi."

eunae gives out a smile and leaves.

heeyeon looks at the card again as she closes the door behind her. she flips it and realizes that eunae handed her a wrong card because a different name was written on the back of it.

"joohyun?" heeyeon quirks an eyebrow. "is this a different joohyun from seulgi's soulmate?"

she smiles and puts the card down.

aside from the free food, she's got other reasons now to be excited for that party.

---

it was indeed a small party, as what eunae initially said.

if heeyeon's guess is correct, it's just eunae's immediate family members and some close friends. if it weren't for seulgi, she doesn't think she'd get invited.

but what bothers her is this certain woman whom she knows is there only because of seulgi. she was surprised when eunae introduced them because she initially thought the woman was a celebrity.

not that she's complaining. since seulgi mentioned the name joohyun from before, heeyeon has always been curious to meet the woman in person.

but dang. how did seulgi got so lucky to be married to a gorgeous woman and have a celebrity-looking soulmate at the same time?

sometimes the spirits do play unfair games, don't they?

after the introduction, heeyeon was tabled with joohyun as they are the only ones who don't know anyone from the party. to make sure they won't feel left out, eunae offered to join them on the table and drags seulgi along with her.

that's when everything starts to feel awkward.

judging from the turn of events, heeyeon's sure seulgi and joohyun didn't plan this setup. heeyeon certainly feels the awkwardness in the air to the point she's asking herself if eunae could feel it as well.

and no matter how delectable the meal is in front of her, heeyeon seems to have lost her appetite.

how could she enjoy the food if she knows the woman beside her is silently suffering at the sight of seulgi and eunae being lovey-dovey towards each other?

the said couple is looking at the stage, eunae leaning against her wife, listening to her grandma talk who's still kicking asses again with her speech.