Chapter 3

"I don't think you get it. Imogen-"

"Why do you care about Imogen liking you?" Clary questions as they approach Magnus's loft. Jace looked at her tiredly. "Because I just care. I've never seen her so devastated before. And why is this different from helping your mother?" Clary gives up as Jace knocked on the door.

Magnus opened it with a flourish, his smile turning into a smirk as he saw them. "Biscuit and the boyfriend. How may I help you?" He moved aside to let them walk in. Jace immediately gets serious, his face tensing up as he looked at Magnus carefully. Magnus smirk turned into a frown. "What's wrong?"

"Magnus, we were all on a mission to clear a rogue den of vamps. And...And long story short we messed up. Big time. Isabelle and Clary and I made it out, but Alec stayed back. We need to go-" Jace looked up at Magnus. The warlock was pale, the worry evidently crushing his soul.

"What, is he hurt?" Magnus stuttered. "We don't know." Magnus inhaled sharply. "That's not possible. I just talked to him-" Jace's eyes widen as Magnus reached for the phone. He held his arm quickly. "When did Alec say he'd come back?"

"Around 7"

"What time is it now?" Magnus looked at the clock as it struck 8:30. "No....no....no." Magnus mumbled. Jace had never seen the man so flustered as he immediately made a portal. "Give me a second. I need to grab a potion-" Magnus's voice cracked as he walked over to his office. Clary shoved Jace angrily.

"What the hell." She seethed, watching the poor warlock frantically search for a potion. Jace shrugged. "Magnus has been around a long time, Clary. I knew he would see right through my lie unless Alec was involved." Clary shook her head in disbelief. Magnus rushed back and they entered the portal. The den was right near the Brooklyn bridge.

It was such a stark contrast to the beautiful water. Clary noticed Magnus was unusually quiet. When she looked closer, she saw the warlock gripping something tightly. It looked like a charm. Magnus saw Clary's gaze and laughed sadly.

"Supposed to give me luck and protection. I...I really need the luck part right now." Magnus says tiredly. Clary's heart dropped as guilt overcame her. Magnus looked torn, his puppy eyes and his hands shaking in a very unmagnus-y way.