Car Chase

Back in the bar Ruby and I had been in, Robotnik and his associates were interrogating the people in the bar to find out where we were going. People were setting the window that got shattered back up. Agent Stone was interrogating the thug who started the fight.

"Did she say where she was going?" Stone asked, showing him a photo of Ruby.

The thug took the photo and looked at her.

"Maybe, maybe not," he said, handing it back. "Like I'd ever tell you."

Robotnik pushed Stone aside.

"Stand down, Agent Stone," he said. "This well-meaning citizen obviously doesn't understand the urgency of the matter."

The thug stood up. "Really?"

Robotnik smiled at him.

A second later, he was sent flying through the same window that was being repaired.

Robotnik and Stone walked out of the bar together.

"Now that's what I call 'good cop, bad cop,'" Robotnik said. He held his hand out for a high five. Stone went to give him it, only for him to move his hand out of the way and punch Stone in the gut. "Left yourself open."

Back in the truck, Robotnik was trying to figure out where Ruby and I were.

"Judging by the quickest route to an airship, the approximate speed of their vehicle, local weather conditions..." Robotnik said, pushing buttons, "they should be... right about... here.

Then, the computer showed our truck.

"That's brilliant, sir," Stone said.

"Thanks," Robotnik said. Then, under his breath, "For nothing..."

Back in the truck, Ruby and I were driving to an airship to get off Patch Island and into Beacon Academy.

"So," I said, "what's on your bucket list?"

"Me?" Ruby asked.

"Yeah," I said. "Everyone has a bucket list, right?"

"Well, sure, but...  I mean, you're the one leaving Remnant and... I don't plan on dying anytime soon."

"Don't be so sure. Your best friend is a magnet for danger," I said.

"Already appointing yourself as the bestie," Ruby joked.

"W-What do you mean?" I said, taking offense.

Ruby immediately felt bad. "But... I mean... What? No, I-I like you, of course, but... y'know, we're not best friends..." She slowed down during those last few words, feeling even worse.

"You tucked me in last night," I said. Ruby blushed when she realized I knew she did that. "Fine, fine, fine. Best animal friends."

"That would be my dog Zwei," Ruby said.

"Okay, let's just drop this increasingly humiliating topic of conversation. Bucket list, give it to me!"

Ruby remembered the fact that she was going to leave Vale. She wanted to make herself feel better about it, so she decided to talk about it to me. She figured I'd support her.

"Okay, there is one thing. In Vale, I've always felt... I don't know, more like a babysitter than a real huntress, y'know? So, I want a chance to prove myself, under real pressure. I'm gonna move to Atlas, become a real huntress. And... I don't know, see if I have what it takes."

She looked at me, and saw that my jaw dropped.

"What?" she said, confused. "W-Why are you looking at me like that?"