Chapter 3

*Secrets-Hailey can't lose Calum-Hailey has no other friends-Hailey only has Calum-    Hailey doesn't want anybody knowing she likes Calum-Hailey hates herself for liking Calum-Hailey hates lying*

Hailey's POV

I was scared out of my mind. I couldn't tell Calum. He would never be my friend and would runaway in fear. I couldn't lose my best friend and only friend. He has done so much stuff for me and helped me so much. When he started crying I got so over whelmed and I didn't know what to do so all I did was cry and not speak, forget talking i couldn't even breathe. It felt like I had a big huge bowling ball in my throat and no stomach then someone was trying to punch my chest. It was the worst feeling ever.

I needed to talk to him but it couldn't be face to face. Then it hit me. I will do what I normally do if I don't want to talk in person, text him. I started for my phone but then it started ringing. I looked at the caller ID and it was Luke. I could maybe talk to Luke but it would be the most difficult thing ever. I answered with caution and tried to say a quiet yet normal hello but nothing came out. I started crying loudly. "Hailey why would you do that? Cal is literally crying his eyes out to the point where his eyes are bloodshot to death. You need to tell him the truth and a reason and you can't say you don't have a reason, I know you Hailey you have some reason." I had a reason but a reason Calum would hate me for. I started to walk to my back door to go into my backyard to be alone and it would maybe calm me down a little bit. "Luke, I have a reason but I..." I cut myself off and took in a deep breath then sniffled to speak again. "...I can't tell him he would hate me forever and never talk to me again. If I ever lost him I don't know what I would do. He is one of my only friends that actually understands me and I really like..." I stopped myself at what I was beginning to say. Luke could never know.

Nobody could ever know about my affection for my best friend. It was bad enough I hated myself for liking him. "I can't tell him. I can't tell anybody. My life would be ruined." I tried to play it off cool and I think it worked. "I don't care how embarrassing or stupid it might sound, you can trust me, promise me. Just go somewhere private and just let it out if you want. It's completely up to you." Luke was acting so sweet but I still couldn't tell him or anybody else. "I can't tell you Luke. I'm sorry. I am gonna go talk to Cal now. Bye I'll tell you how it goes afterward if Calum doesn't." I hung up immediatly hating how I lied to Luke.

I went to my room and tried to figure out a way to tell him or cover it up. I can't tell him the truth. I can at least tell him about how I have insecurities. I got up and went to my desk to write. I got out my notebook and a pencil then started scribbling away at the paper. I only wrote down how people made fun of me since the beginning of grade school and how it all started. I just left out how I first started liking him.

I finished the note, folded it up and put it in a envelope so I could slide it under the door for him to read. I walked down the stairs so I could go down the long hallway to get to Calum's room. Calum did have his own room at my house but my mom did it for him as a present. He has always had to sleep on the floor or on the couch and we felt bad so we remodeled the room in the back of the house for him to sleep and get ready. It was pretty much his second house. Once I got to where it was 'his' hallway I started to cry softly as i came to his door. I bent down and slid the note under the door and slid down the wall next to the wall and cried into my chest worried and still upset about what happened between Calum and I. I just pray that he understands and will forgive me.