A Tender Flame

Ville sat across from Maria. He had requested they meet at a small restaurant near his home. The place was not terribly romantic. But that was not the point of the meeting. After last night she expected him to fire her. What exactly had she said? He recalled him being a bit upset. But also concerned. About her. No. Stop-no foolish daydreaming. But still, after dealing with Sandra all day, it warmed her heart.

"I am here to discuss certain events that took place yesterday," he said. Shit. Was she going to get the boot already? She cursed her alcohol dependency. All this hard work. All her devotion to keeping him safe. All done. Due to a bottle. "Number one, I am not here to berate you or get on your case, you are an adult, your life is yours to lead as you see fit," he said. "However, I care about the people who care for those dear to me. So, out of the personal experience I suffered, and without, I hope I am not going over my boundaries but,  I hope that is not the way you always deal with stress," he said.

Wow. So he was here to tell her to be careful. Unexpected. Her heart was fluttering. Still, it was easier said than done. "I will try not to let it be, thank you so much, boss, for your concern," she said. It was the best she had. For now. Did it sound rude?

Ville's green eyes searched her face with concern, then he proceeded, "Secondly, I will not tolerate any harassing comments about my girlfriend," he said sternly. Ouch, so that was the point of this. "However," he added. However, it was good. Right?

"I know she can be a difficult individual to deal with

"I know she can be a difficult individual to deal with. So if she said something rude without a basis of reason or disrespected you, I want to know so I can talk to her and see what the issue is. I do not want you or her hurt, she is my life, and you are the one protecting her life and mine, so I want equal and fair treatment," he said, leaning forward, his eyes confused and sad.

This was her chance to let him know who Sandra really was. But. Seeing him so concerned. Was this right? She had no right to bring discord to a relationship. Still, she had to set boundaries. All she wanted was to do her job. "Lady Sandra seems to not like me very much, but I feel that is perhaps normal, I mean, she has been most likely a target of many of your female followers, and jealousy is a normal reaction when one is in love," Maria said.

Ville sighed. He looked quite frustrated. "I...she can be a bit jealous at times, and it is something I will discuss in my own time, as it seems to be affecting our contract, but is there anything else?" he said, mesmerizing Maria with his oceanic green eyes.

"No, just that I want to assure her that I am here purely on a professional level and that I am not pursuing you in any way. Not only would that be unprofessional, but it is something that is not even of remote interest to me, I have other goals to meet," Maria said. She hated lying like this. He was the most interesting man in the world to her. But right now, his safety meant her pain. So it was fine. She just wanted his peace of mind.

"I see...well, I will talk to her then," he said. "As for your dependence, if you ever feel the need to talk, I honestly am willing to listen and send you to get help. You are too young to be drowning in liquor Believe me, it is a rabbit hole that keeps drawing you in," he said, his face a little more relaxed. He was so beautiful and kind. Who cared what lay ahead?

"I promise to try," Maria said, thinking about her huge stash of bottles at the apartment

"I promise to try," Maria said, thinking about her huge stash of bottles at the apartment. Just something she kept for when she did not want to go out and drink in public. It was going to be hard to keep that promise. "And please do not worry. I will not let that interfere in my work," she added. "Good, you have been an invaluable asset so far," he said. Maria beamed. Invaluable.

"In any case, I will contact you for the next job, rest, take care, and be safe," he said, shaking her hand

"In any case, I will contact you for the next job, rest, take care, and be safe," he said, shaking her hand. She wanted to cut it off and keep it in a crystal glass. A prosthetic would do. "Yes, sir," she said.

In her mind, she imagined a "good girl" would follow. But smut-filled thoughts had no place here. Instead, she wished him well as they parted their separate ways. Now she only hoped that this would not make Sandra meaner towards her. Still. She had to speak, right? Gods, please just let me keep and do my job.