Song Shot 1: She's Not Afraid (One Direction)

This is my first Song Shot for ‘She’s Not Afraid’ from One Direction. Request from @Live2DreamT, thanks for being the first! Enjoy xx

*************************************************************************

Jake’s POV 

I sighed again as I stared at the nerdy boy slumped in front of me in the glass and stuck my tongue out at him. He returned the gesture and raised his eyebrows with me as I glared at him angrily, turning away from the mirror and fixing my tux for about the millionth time, but it just wouldn’t stay right, either folding in the wrong place or bunching up and making me look even more stupid than I did already. My mousy hair was hanging limply in front of my eyes, at least preventing me from seeing my ugly self too clearly in the reflection, but the glasses stuck out like a sore thumb.

I couldn’t help but turn around again and stare at myself, and I knew what was the biggest problem. The huge, black plastic-framed specs seated on the bridge of my nose, making me look like a complete and utter retard. Yippee. Not.

I sighed and walked over to the black box that held the contacts and flipped it open, staring at the two round pieces that were supposed to go in my eye. Okay, I’ll admit it, I’m scared of contacts. Yes, I know, it’s stupid, but I don’t like the thought of sticking my fingers in my eyes, but tonight I’d do anything for Kayla, even if she wouldn’t even acknowledge my existence outside of her house.

I sighed, took my glasses off, and attempted to put the contacts in my eye, hoping that tonight things would be different.

Kayla’s POV

I grinned at myself as I pulled my short, sparkly dress down to mid-thigh and stepped into my red stilettos. Glancing at the clock I realized that if I didn’t leave now, I would be late to the prom, and rushed out of the door. Since the school was pretty near, I was walking, but my high shoes weren’t really helping the matter much, and I reached the building hobbling like an idiot. Didn’t matter though; I was so popular, the highest on a scale of one to ten, I could have come here with bright purple clown shoes and have set a new trend.

I hope Jake doesn’t show up today. Yeah, sure, he’s my boyfriend, but nobody else needs to know that. What would it do to my image if a ten were dating a meager five? Even the clown shoes would be better, honestly.

Oh, I pray to god, even if he does come, don’t make him look so nerdy and dweeby with his stupid glasses, please, let him dress normally! I guess Jake isn’t that bad looking, but his sense of style and the awful specs ruin it all. Honestly, if I hadn’t met him at the smoothie bar and fell in love, I would either not even know him or not, in the slightest, acknowledge his existence at all.

“Kayla!” came a squeal as I entered the smelly, sweaty gym, and about six pairs of arms waved at me. Ugh, the three’s are so annoying, thinking they can just go to the nine’s and ten’s and pretend we’re buddies. Yeah, um, no. Not happening, girlies.

I ignored them and headed to the higher-ranking table, where I met some of my friends and a lot of cute boys. Soon enough, up-beat songs were playing and I found myself dancing with some random eight guy, I think his name was Chris. Or Hank. Something like that, I don’t know. I switched around, probably exchanging moves with about six or seven other boys, when the big door leading from the entrance to the gym swung open, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a newcomer enter. Surprising, actually, as it was already eight o’clock, and the dance started an hour ago.

Using my awesome ninja skills I spied on the boy from the corner of my eye and could confirm that he was cute. Like, seriously handsome, and I wondered what his name could be. Probably something hot like Leo or Ryan.

Now that we’re talking about boys, I wonder where Jake is, but was thankful that he hasn’t talked to me yet. Five’s, tonight, and everything under, were like the soggy chips that had fallen on the ground underneath the snack table; gross and unimportant. Even Jake.

Now, I don’t want to be mean, but you don’t see a high-rank girl hanging out with someone half her value. Like, ugh. No way.

I was in the middle of dancing with, er, some boy who’s name starts with n or something, when there was a tap on my back and I spun around, coming face-to-face with the dude who had come through the door some while before.

He was definitely cute, like I thought; light brown, sort-of shaggy hair that stopped just before his eyes, strong figure, and the most amazing blue eyes I’ve ever seen. Come to think of it, I think I’ve seen this boy before, somewhere, and I felt guilty, like I owed him something…

Oh my god. I know who it is.

“Jake,” I whispered and he bit his lip and smiled, just as a slow song came on.

“Care to dance, Kayla?” he asked me softly, and I thought long and hard over this. If I danced with him, even if he did look very different tonight, my life as a popular ten would be over. I mean, dancing with a five?! But, on the other hand, he was my boyfriend, and I loved him, I couldn’t do this to him.

So do I pick my love or my life?

What am I saying, he is my life, not those shallow-minded bitches that were crowding around me like baby birds do with the head mother.

I scoffed at them and took Jake’s outstretched hand.

“I’d want nothing more, Jake,” I said, and the cronies standing near gasped loudly and dramatically.

“Jake?”

“Kayla, how can you dance with a five?!”

“Have you lost your mind?”

“No,” I snapped, “I’ve lost my heart to this boy, Jake. So he’s an uncool five, who cares? He’s my uncool five, so go kiss my ass and watch me dance with my boyfriend.”

“Your boy what?”

“Oh my god, Kayla’s gone insane!”

“What the hell?!”

“What a loser, dancing with such a nerd.”

“You suck, Kayla.”

I tried to ignore the other comments as Jake placed his hands on my waist, mine on his shoulder, as we swayed slowly with the music, and suddenly, I found my hands entwined with his hair and my lips attached to his. I was kissing Jake. In public.

My automatic alarm signals were going off in my head, but I switched them off, enjoying the moment when the song ended and Jake hugged me closely, his eyes twinkling, as if to say ‘thank you.’

“I love you,” he murmured in my ear and my heart throbbed for this boy, even if he was unpopular and a five, he was mine, and I could only agree.

“I love you too.”

The romantic moment was interrupted by jeering and rude comments being shouted.

“That was so gross!”

“How could you kiss such a sad loser?”

“What is wrong with your mind, Kayla?”

“You do know you’re not popular anymore!”

“Probably not even over a three!”

That one comment hit harder than the others, but I stood my ground.

“So?” I shouted, though I felt the tears come, and Jake gripped my hand. I smiled at him and squeezed his hand, afraid to let go.

***************************************************************************

That was my first request? Tell me what you think in the comments, and if you want a Song Shot, just inbox me your request and I’ll write it ASAP! Also, the characters can be made-up, like here, or famous, like Louis Tomlinson, Justin Bieber, whatever!

Yuki xx