Chapter 5-Tension

The sound of the door sliding stop's Akira's brush. She turns to look at the person, and isn't too surprised to see Mitsuhide. "I see you weren't able to escape Nobunaga after all." Akira looks at him, clearly not amused by his well-hidden sarcasm. "He's calling for you. Nobunaga, that is. He wants to see you." Not giving a verbal response, Akira closes her journal and places it back in her yukata. Although she was given better clothes to wear, she had ignored the bundle in favor of her more simplistic yukata, especially since she already had it on.  Mitsuhide waits for her to stand, before leaving her room-with Akira right behind him.

Historically, it was Mitsuhide who set the fire. However, due to her and Sasuke's mishaps in time, that could very well have changed. Besides, she trusted her eyes more than a book. They walked in silence-Mitsuhide studying her and her behavior-while Akira refused to give him anything. It was a soundless battle, although it was not without struggle.

Finally they stopped in front of two screens, and they opened at their approach.  Inside were all of the warlords she had met, who were parallel to each other. And at the end of the rows, was Nobunaga sitting alone on the dais. "You've kept me waiting, Akira."

Mitsuhide takes a seat, and leaves everyone to stare solely at her. Akira is composed, neither her face nor her body gave away any sort of emotion. Waiting for an inevitable command. "Don't just stand there, approach me."

Still staying silent, she walks past the gathered lords, head held high. Instead of kneeling before the Oda lord, she crosses her legs, and sits up straight and defiant, with her hands resting on her knees. The corner of Nobunaga's mouth turns up, in a quick but subtle grin.

"From now on, you will stay here, in my service."

"I refuse. I don't reside in castles nor do I live to serve anyone."

"It doesn't matter to me. All you have to do is agree."

His eyes turned cold,  and as soon as they did, the situation became delicate. Decline again and he might lash out. She couldn't take all of the warlords in the room, hell she probably couldn't take half of them. Running might piss him off more, although it would give a higher likelihood of escape. Damn it. How the hell did she end up in this predicament?

".....alright."

The reluctance and hesitation is heavy in her voice. "Then-" Before anyone else can speak, Akira continues after her pause. "-how exactly do you propose I serve you?" The coldness in Nobunaga's eyes diminish, and the tension in the air subsides.

"However you like." "Couldn't be more vague, could you?" Nobunaga reaches out for her hand, and she tenses to keep it in place, pulling it away would just bring back the anger. The long, elegant, fingers bring her hand to his face, where she can feel his breath tickle her skin. "Stay nearby. That is all you need to do."

His voice had a pleasant, formal hum to it, although it certainly wasn't kind. "You shall bring me luck as I unify this country, and beyond." Nobunaga's grip goes slack and Akira slowly pulls her hand away to let it rest on her knee. "I do agree, I'm lucky. I'm not quite sure I could share my luck with you." Akira grins, and Nobunaga returns it.  "You'll be known as a princess from afar, and treated as such here. You can divulge yourself in makeup, or cards and games if it suits your whim."

Akira lets out a chuckle, not loudly. Nobunaga looks taken aback, the grin vanishing and replaced with a thin line.  "Do I look like the type of person who would divulge themselves? No, thank you for the offer but you'd drive me crazy if I had to do that." A brow is raised on the lord's face, before Masamune says, "I agree. I'm exactly the same way."

With little reluctance, probably due to Masamune's words, Nobunaga agrees. "Very well. Then you shall be my chatelaine." It ticked Akira off when he used possessive language to describe her. Mine. My. And a chatelaine? She resisted the urge to huff out a sigh.  Before she can continue her train of thought, Mitsunari speaks up.

"What an excellent idea. Akira, I'll support you, and help you get started." The other's reactions aren't so kind. "How could this waif possibly be of any use to us?" ...a homeless person? Well he wasn't wrong technically but that still hurt a bit. Then again, it was Ieyasu. "Hold your tongue. It is Lord Nobunaga's decision." The loyalty was back. But Akira knew Hideyoshi didn't agree with his lord's choice, only that he would respect it. "Though only time will tell if we can trust her." "Who said you have to? All you have to do is keep an eye on her. You're good at that. You might be surprised."

Mitsuhide's words were likely the result of their little debate on the way here. Akira shoots him a look, and he responds with a sly smile. She raises her brow, but only gets that smile still. "Then it's decided." The chatter stops and everyone turns back to face Nobunaga. "Work hard, and prove your worth."

"I don't plan on slacking if that's what you mean."

Suddenly, he grabs her chin, and points it upwards to look him dead in the eye where he sits upon the dais. "I plan to take very good care of you." That's it. Enough.. "Don't touch me."

She grabs his wrist and her eyes go dark. The veins underneath her grip pulse as they're twisted and forced off her chin. Nobunaga's hand stays in the air for a moment, before he lets it fall to his side. The room is dead quiet. And the tension grows once more.

Published November 6th, 2020