Chapter 1: Ask Her Out

"Come on, man. Just one more stop, then we can go grab lunch," Zac's close friend, Ryan Rottman said as they walked along Robertson Boulevard in West Hollywood.

"Where are we going again?"

"One of my really good friends just moved here from Chicago to open her own store and restaurant. You'll really like the concept," Ryan paused as Zac looked at him, knowing there had to be another reason. "And she's super cute."

Ah, there it was.

Zac, overtired, cranky, and already hungry, tersely replied, "Fine. Then lunch, I'm starving."

"It won't take long, I just wanted to pop in and see how things are coming along," Ryan said as they continued walking. "I think this is it," they stopped in front of a modern-looking, but small store front with no name on the front door or awning.

  "I think this is it," they stopped in front of a modern-looking, but small store front with no name on the front door or awning

As they stepped inside, they were welcomed by the delicious aroma of citrus and spice. The sleek, black and white, modern-industrial space was bustling with people and activity, despite being almost empty otherwise. A group of construction workers, who were hanging shelves, turned to look at Zac and Ryan as they walked in, but they quickly went back to work- paying them no attention.

Zac's eyes immediately locked on a set of the most perfect, long, bronzed legs he'd ever seen, standing in a group of men wearing jeans. He scanned up, taking in the petite frame of a stunning brunette, who was wearing a pair of cutoff denim jeans and an oversized, chunky-knit, white sweater that was hanging off one of her shoulders. Her hair was pulled up in a messy top-knot and she was wearing tortoise-shell glasses.

She was reviewing blue prints with an older gentleman, and was pointing throughout the small retail space and then back to the blue prints as she provided some sort of instruction.

A sly smirk crept across Zac's face. Ryan was right, she was super cute.

"(Your Nickname)!" Ryan yelled out.

She looked up from the blue prints and smiled wide when she connected the voice to a familiar face.

"Ry!" she smiled as she practically ran over to him, carefully jumping over stacks of lumber on the floor as she did, before locking him in a warm embrace.

"The place looks amazing!" Ryan said, looking around the busy space.

"Oh, stop! It's a disaster right now," she tucked her hands in her back pockets. "But, it's starting to come along," she glanced around the room, surveying the progress, before her eyes locked on Zac.

"I'm Zac," he extended his hand to her, blushing slightly.

"Nice to meet you," (Y/N) replied as she shook his hand firmly, her cheeks flushed in the same manner.

"Oh, sorry!" Ryan said. "Zac, (Y/N). (Y/N), Zac."

"I...uh, think we got that part covered, Ry," she teased him.