Backstory

(3rd POV)

1981

A very old and wise wizard named Dumbledore got to the corner of a street and saw a Tabby Cat sitting on a brick wall at a house. He said, "Fancy seeing you here, Professor McGonagall."
He turned to smile at the tabby, but it had gone. Instead, he was smiling at a rather severe-looking woman who was wearing square glasses exactly the shape of the markings the cat had around its eyes. She was wearing a cloak, an emerald one. Her black hair was drawn into a tight bun. She looked distinctly ruffled. She said "How did you know it was me?" he said "My dear Professor, I've never seen a cat sit so stiffly." she said "You'd be stiff if you'd been sitting on a brick wall all day," he said "All day? When you could have been celebrating? I must have passed a dozen feasts and parties on my way here."

Angrily she said "Oh yes, everyone's celebrating, all right, You'd think they'd be a bit more careful, but no... even the Muggles have noticed something's going on. It was on their news. I heard it. Flocks of owls . . . shooting stars. . . . Well, they're not completely stupid. They were bound to notice something. Shooting stars down in Kent... I'll bet that was Dedalus Diggle. He never had much sense." he gently said "You can't blame them, We've had precious little to celebrate for eleven years." she sighed "I know that, But that's no reason to lose our heads. People are being downright careless, out on the streets in broad daylight, not even dressed in Muggle clothes, swapping rumors. A fine thing it would be if, on the very day You-Know-Who seems to have disappeared, at last, the Muggles found out about us all. I suppose he really has gone, Dumbledore?"

He said "It certainly seems so, We have much to be thankful for. Would you care for a lemon drop?" she looked at him "A what?" he said "A lemon drop. They're a kind of Muggle sweet I'm rather fond of." she said "No, thank you, As I say, even if You-Know-Who has gone..." he cut her off and said "My dear Professor, surely a sensible person like yourself can call him by his name? All this 'You-Know-Who' nonsense... for eleven years I have been trying to persuade people to call him by his proper name: Voldemort. It all gets so confusing if we keep saying 'You-Know-Who.' I have never seen any reason to be frightened of saying Voldemort's name."

She said "I know you haven't, But you're different. Everyone knows you're the only one You-Know- oh, all right, Voldemort, was frightened of." he said "You flatter me, Voldemort had powers I will never have." she said "Only because you're too... well... noble to use them." he said "It's lucky it's dark. I haven't blushed so much since Madam Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs." she shot him a sharp look and said "The owls are nothing next to the rumors that are flying around. Do you know what everyone's saying? About why he's disappeared? About what finally stopped him?... What they're saying, is that last night Voldemort turned up in Godric's Hollow. He went to find the Potters. The rumor is that Lily and James Potter are... are... that they're... dead." 

He bowed his head in mourning and she said "Lily and James . . . I can't believe it . . . I didn't want to believe it . . . Oh, Albus . . ." he said "I know . . . I know . . ." she said "That's not all. They're saying he tried to kill the Potters' son, Harry. But... he couldn't. He couldn't kill that little boy. No one knows why, or how, but they're saying that when he couldn't kill Harry Potter, Voldemort's power somehow broke... and that's why he's gone." he nodded sadly and she said "It's... it's true? After all, he's done . . . all the people he's killed . . . he couldn't kill a little boy? Is Avacyn ok as well?" he said "Yes she is ok wasn't harmed at all, he didn't even try and go after her." she said, "It's just astounding . . . of all the things to stop him . . . but how in the name of heaven did Harry survive?"

He said "We can only guess, We may never know. Hagrid's late. I suppose it was he who told you I'd be here, by the way?" she said "Yes, And I don't suppose you're going to tell me why you're here, of all places?" he said "I've come to bring Harry and Avacyn to their aunt and uncle. They're the only family they have left now." she cried out "You don't mean... you can't mean the people who live here? Dumbledore... you can't. I've been watching them all day. You couldn't find two people who are less like us. And they've got this son... I saw him kicking his mother up the street, screaming for sweets. Avacyn and Harry Potter come and live here!"

He said "It's the best place for them, their aunt and uncle will be able to explain everything to them when they're older. I've written them a letter." she said "A letter? Really, Dumbledore, do you think you can explain all this in a letter? These people will never understand them! He'll be famous... a legend... I wouldn't be surprised if today was known as Harry Potter Day in the future... there will be books written about Harry and his sister... every child in our world will know their names!" he said "Exactly, It would be enough to turn any boy's head. Famous before he can walk and talk! Famous for something he won't even remember! She will be in the shadow of her famous twin brother. Can't you see how much better off they'll be, growing up away from all that until they're ready to take it?"

She sighed "Yes... yes, you're right, of course. But how are the babies getting here, Dumbledore?" he said "Hagrid's bringing them." she said, "You think it... wise... to trust Hagrid with something as important as this?" he said "I would trust Hagrid with my life," she said "I'm not saying his heart isn't in the right place, but you can't pretend he's not careless. He does tend to... what was that?" A low rumbling sound had broken the silence around them. It grew steadily louder as they looked up and down the street for some sign of a headlight; it swelled to a roar as they both looked up at the sky and a huge motorcycle fell out of the air and landed on the road in front of them.

He said "Hagrid, At last. And where did you get that motorcycle?" Hagrid said "Borrowed it, Professor Dumbledore, sir, Young Sirius Black lent it to me. I've got them, sir." he said, "No problems, were there?" Hagrid said "No, sir... the house was almost destroyed, but I got them out all right before the Muggles started swarmin' around. He fell asleep as we was flyin' over Bristol." she said "He? Don't you mean they?" he said, "No ma'am I mean he, Avacyn is wide awake." Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall bent forward over the bundle of blankets. Inside, just visible, was a baby boy, fast asleep. Under a tuft of jet-black hair over his forehead, they could see a curiously shaped cut, like a bolt of lightning. Cuddled to his side was a baby girl with dark hazel eyes and auburn hair staring up at them.

She said "Is that where... he said "Yes, He'll have that scar forever." she took the baby girl from Hagrid as she said "Couldn't you do something about it, Dumbledore?" he said "Even if I could, I wouldn't. Scars can come in handy. I have one myself above my left knee that is a perfect map of the London Underground. Well... give him here, Hagrid... we'd better get this over with." he took Harry into his arms and turned toward the house. Hagrid said "Could I... could I say goodbye to them, sir?" he kissed both babies' heads and then let out a wounded howl causing her to say "Shhh! you'll wake the Muggles!"

Hagrid said "S-s-sorry, But I c-c-can't stand it... Lily an' James dead... an' poor little Harry and Avacyn off ter live with Muggles..." she said, " she said "Yes, yes, it's all very sad, but get a grip on yourself, Hagrid, or we'll be found," she kissed the girls head before handing her over to Dumbledore who took both kids and laid them on the doorstep. He tucked a letter into the twins' blankets and walked back to the other two. He said "Well, that's that. We've no business staying here. We may as well go and join the celebrations." Hagrid said "Yeah, I'd best get this bike away. G'night, Professor McGonagall... Professor Dumbledore, sir." Hagrid climbed the bike and flew off. He said "I shall see you soon, I expect, Professor McGonagall," then walked away himself.