Prologue

PC (picture credit); instagram // @kissingfresh

"I am made up of nothing but deceits and untruthfulness."

I never exactly knew what my father meant by The Opposite. It was a two-word phrase that he would consistently use as a form of correlation to assist me in the struggles I had thought of to be disastrous and world-ending, such as popular trends and the secrets of adolescence.

Maybe he had wanted me to naturally isolate myself from the overrated crowds of popularity, or maybe he had wanted me to be cautious with who I befriended and trusted wholeheartedly, which had resulted into me establishing a sibling-like relationship with Marcus Green and Ned Morgans. Maybe he had wanted me to constantly and explicitly empty out my stomach contents, or maybe he had wanted me to loathe every flaw visible to the naked eye on my physical appearance....

Because that is specifically what I have become over the past three years.

-

3 Years Ago

"What do you mean you don't know?" I retorted bitterly, my blue-grey eyes protruding in utter shock and disbelief, as my feet failed to move even an inch away. Half of my mental conscience was screaming to escape my residence as he couldn't be any further than a few miles, though the other half was forcing me into staying a little longer so the answers would finally be clarified.

"I've looked everywhere, sweetheart. I've talked to everyone associated with him, but to no avail." It was as if my mother, one of the strongest women I have ever encountered in my lifetime, was losing hope and faith. He was like a handful of sand grains from the beach a couple of blocks away, and my mother was clasping onto it with too much force and strength. Of course, he would swiftly seep through the gaps in her fingers, and become hidden and lost with the remainder of the sand.

I had wasted my entire Saturday morning blindly searching for the non-existent, and all I had accomplished was to chase my own tail like a mindless puppy. Tears began filling the brim of my lifeless exhausted eyes, threatening to escape at any moment. The senses in my legs awoke, heading straight towards the rickety staircase that was bound to crumble under the weight of an individual.

"You're such a heartless monster." I bickered irritably, as her apologetic pleas only caused me to accelerate the speed I was currently sprinting at. Re-entering the security of my spacious sanctuary, I furiously slammed the wooden door shut behind me.

Sprawling my thin petite physique onto my queen-sized mattress, the anticipated tears streamed down my face endlessly, staining my cheeks as I landed face-first onto the comfort of my pillow. Well, it had comforted me in the past, but now it was just another symbol for the unexpected horror. Throwing my ebony black hair to the side, the vivid images of my previous nightmare replayed in my mind. Regulating every breath was easier said than done.

My father being hooked up on numerous IV tubes.

The waves of the heart rate monitor being consistently low.

My eyes staring down at his almost-lifeless figure, as I hopelessly observed him inhale his last breath of life.

"Keep it down, will you?" My bothersome elder sibling, Patricia, yelled from the other room, as I was obviously disturbing the music blasting into her ears. Accepting that as a cue to dramatically increase the decibel levels, I screamed louder into my pillow, my voice straining and my throat killing with every sound I produced.

It's all my fault. Why else would my supportive father wish to leave without a trace, and without further notice? Anger began boiling up inside of me, and even though the outburst of tears had left me weak and frail, I elongated an arm and knocked the closest object to me off the pasty bedside table. It echoed a hollow noise as it made abrupt contact to the flooring. Utilising the last of my energy, I relocated my groggy head from the dampened pillow case to the edge of my bed, as I scrutinised what had fallen with a gasp.

It was my first-place dance trophy. The golden one I had been awarded with for the most outstanding individual performance last night. The one I had caught a glimpse of my father praising me of my achievements with a standing ovation and a few high-pitched whistles through his fingers. That may have been the final time I had been pulled into a tight embrace by my father, and I was completely oblivious of it.

There it was, shattered and chipped all over, mirroring an accurate image of my heart. Sheathing a hand around it and elevating it for a further analysis, I noticed that the plaque with my full name engraved on it had hacked the first letter off.

Bony Hope Ryan.

_ _ _ _ _

Important Notice;

This novel is set in the Gold Coast, Australia, so therefore it will differentiate from living in other countries overseas. If you are perplexed by a certain phrase or scene, feel free to leave a comment and it will be clarified shortly.

All cast members whom I have selected to portray the roles of the characters in this novel are based upon appearances only. Please maintain a hate-free environment in the comments.

This novel contains strong frequent coarse language, triggering scenes, spoilers from Once Upon a Time and sexual references.

Finally, please don't judge the entire novel on the Prologue, and I encourage you to bear with me.

-nancy xx