Chapter 14

PC; weheartit // unknown

To: Ned. We're coming over now.

"We're going to Ned's." I stated, locking my phone and shoving it into the deep denim compartment in my ripped pair of shorts. I strenuously ushered Connor out the front door as his baffled expression clearly defined his disorientation.

"But-"

"I'll explain later." I promised, closing the door while cautiously ensuring that any trace of my presence had vanished into thin air. Dropping a couple of weighty textbooks onto the lawn of my front yard, he bent down to collect them into his arms, unintentionally procrastinating the situation.

Huffing at the clumsiness of his stationery organisation, I caught a glimpse of the curtain swinging open, as a flash blinded my sight. That's the beauty of possessing a mobile phone, because a single snapshot of you from a famous Internet sensation could be uploaded to thousands of online stalkers. I'm gonna get her back. But not right now, because my Saturday afternoon is passing by the second.

"I saw a flash from the window. What was that all about?" He questioned, belatedly gathering his books together in an systematic fashion. "Pat. Now don't do anything else dumb, because soon she's gonna receive a new occupation as my personal paparazzi to snap embarrassing photos of me with others." I forewarned sternly, as he retorted, "I just bent down to get the books I dropped: is that going to ruin your reputation?"

"Yep." I replied, popping the last syllable, as a shadow of a figure and his canine on a leash came into view. Ugh, not right now. Out of all people, it just had to be him.

As his structure became more focused and defined, an unsettled feeling developed in the pit of my stomach. I never wanted to confront him again, let alone today with a friend. "Connor!" He greeted, stretching the name for dramatisation and effect, as he bumped his fist lightly against my neighbour's. "Colin, my lad." He echoed, using the same tone of enthusiasm and accent as Colin.

"Uh, how do you know each other?" I spoke my mind, hoping that I hadn't created an irreversible crisis of uneasiness to surround the three of us. "Ebony, there are certain things that you think you know, yet you actually don't." Colin said, raking a hand through his greasy brown curls, as I covered my mouth in case my stomach decided to empty its contents.

"He works at the local animal shelter with me, and apparently he also goes to Westie High and he was your ex-boyfriend." Connor mused, as he poked my sides in order to evoke emotions of amusement into my annoyed system. "Don't call it Westie High." I scoffed, recalling a time when a group of popular females generated a nickname for our school sporting teams, as I twisted my face into a grimace at the horrific thought.

Dragging Connor by the arm, I quickly waved goodbye the boy I had developed malicious feelings for in a short period of time. "No time to talk to judgemental jerks. Adios." I had said, as we mounted the steps to the Morgan's residence, alias my other home.

"Really." I stated blandly, as a few over-excited footsteps from what I predicted to be Candy's shook the ground we were positioned on, "Colin's your workmate, and you didn't even tell me?" "I'm not good at making friends." He muttered through gritted teeth, "And I guess he was the only person to ever approach me, without being forced to or anything. Mum forced you to guide me, and Ned and Marcus just tag along because of you."

Shaking my head to deny the fact he was trying to prove, Candy answered the door. "Da-ad! Bon-Bon and Connor are here!" She rasped, while struggling to gather her hair into a neat ponytail. "Okay, I'll be right there guys." Robert bellowed in appreciation, as he slipped into a tank tee and approached the hallway leading to the front door.