Chapter 2

PC; instagram // @kissingfresh

"So, where is Westbrook High?"

I laughed lightly at his ignorance to the suburb I've been growing up in my entire lifetime. "It would be around a twenty minute walk from here if we didn't make any pit stops." I briefed, shaking my head in amusement, "But we would have to make at least two."

He crinkled his eyebrows in bewilderment, as we rounded the corner and onto the next street. He decided to remain silent though, as I ascended a two-step stone staircase to the house of my best friend. Turning the knob and casually inviting myself in, I signalled for Connor to do the same, though he was reluctant to the idea of intruding a strange home without permission.

"Ned!" I yelled impatiently, tapping my foot rhythmically. Nonchalantly, his figure came into view, kicking his pair of undersized Vans like he was a famous soccer player attempting to shoot a clean goal into the net. His passion for soccer - both physically and virtually - is absolutely ridiculous. Chuckling, he simply scowled at my early appearance. "Shut up Bones." He muttered in mock exasperation, as another pair of footsteps approached us. "Looks like someone hasn't finished her makeup." Ned's twenty-one year old sister Charlie remarked, as my head bobbed up and down in agreement. She gesticulated for me to follow her, as I trailed behind her ardently.

Although I felt guilty for abandoning my neighbour in an unfamiliar environment, I was glad for the opportunity to finish my makeup after being interrupted discourteously by Patricia a while ago. Leaning in front of Charlie's lavish wall mirror, I pointed the eyeliner pencil narrowly close to my eye as I scrutinised the vibrant red shade spreading as fast as wildfire around my pupil. "Bony, what did you do to yourself?" Charlie questioned in alarm, rushing over and popping open the cap of her own Maybelline liquid eyeliner and applying the ink expertly onto my eyelid.

"Guess what?" She quizzed, and I sighed heavily at her attempt of getting my mind off my stinging eye. "You know I hate these games, Charlie." I grumbled, as a bubbly laugh escaped her lips. "Trust me, you're going to love me even more when I tell you this." She added, as I allowed her to intensify the length my eyelashes with a mascara wand.

"I'm going to be Ed Sheeran's makeup artist in a couple of months for his concert!" She shrieked, and I was restricted from jumping up and down in congratulations and excitement. "Oh, but that's not all. I'm giving you a VIP backstage pass and front row ticket for a personal meet and greet with him!" Charlie was the elder sister I never had, and I couldn't have been more grateful.

Ned's bellow rung disturbingly in my ears, as the sound waves travelled into Charlie's bedroom. "Hurry up Bones, Connor and I are going to leave without you soon." Connor. I had forgotten all about him. Slinging my backpack over my shoulder, I quickly acknowledged Charlie's professional beautifying skills and walked at a faster pace towards the front door.

"Finally!" Connor cried, as I shot him an apologetic death glare. If looks could kill, he would probably be dead by now. "Diana, are we taking Candy to school today?" I called to Ned's mother, as she rejected my offer, "No thanks Ebony, she's staying home sick today." We accepted that as our cue to exit the house, as we closed the door behind us.

The three of us sauntered over to the neighbouring house of the Green's residence. Coincidentally, my other best friend resided in the white double-storey next door to Ned, as my knuckles made a raucous noise on the wooden surface. Summer and Gordon thought a couple of delinquent teenagers trespassing their immaculate, elegant house was intolerable and brash behaviour. The door opened instantaneously, as we were greeted by Marcus.

"Hella Puss." I said spontaneously, kicking his shinbone jokingly and emphasising the nickname Ned and I created when we were a trio of idiotic children. In fact, nothing has changed besides puberty. "Aye, watch the shin! Don't want to end up like you, do I?" He yelped in pain, reaching down to rub the area that the toe of my heel had just made contact with soothingly.