forty-three

H

Today lasted forever. We spent the day working on my day. Every five seconds Jenny glanced at me as if I were going break. She didn't know what I had planned after work. It was finally 5 and I started to gather my things to leave. "You've been quiet today, You alright?". I looked over briefly at her as we stepped into the elevator. "Yeah, I'm just exhausted". She gave me a weak smile. "So what do you have planned today" She spoke again. "Nothing just writing, I'll see you tomorrow". I got in the car before she responded. Before we drove off Gio roll down the windows. "Hi jenny". "Hi Gio". She gave him a smile. When did they meet? After he put the windows I told him to take me to Long island.

As I was on my way I prepared myself mentally on what I might see. I just had to see for myself. See this said child. Confront her family. The family I once considered my own. Why would they hide this from me? I already beat myself up over their death but knowing what I know now could've helped tremendously. maybe save me some pain. The car stopped and I got out of the car. this house brought back so many memories. From when we spent Christmas with her family to when her catholic father made me sleep in a separate room but of course I made my way back to hers. I couldn't spend a night away from her. I loved her but I guess she didn't love me. She cheated and had a baby with some other guy.

I knocked and waited for the door to open. My heart was beating so fast, I thought it'd burst out my chest. Finally the door was opened and there stood Cara. I immediately darted my eyes to the ground. "Harry? What are you doing here?". "I want to see this child with my own eyes" I finally looked at her. She didn't object she simply stepped aside and I walked in. "My mom took her to the park, she should be back soon". My heart dropped. "It was- it's a girl?" She looked at me with sorrowful eyes. "Yeah" She sat on the couch and gestured for me to do the same but I don't. Instead I looked around at the pictures. Finally my eyes stopped on a picture of the child. She was a newborn in the photo. "Her name is Nova" Cara spoke. Camille's middle name. Both of our heads snapped to door as it opened.

My eyes went straight to the child who couldn't be more than 2 years old. She had curly red hair. "What the hell is he doing here" The lady yelled. "I told him" Cara said back. I just stared at the child that was definitely not mine. I was hoping that maybe just maybe Cara was wrong and the child was mine but no. Definitely not mine. The child looked at me and smiled. She gets her smile from her mother. So beautiful. "Get out of my house" The lady spit. "Mom!" Cara yelled. "Haven't you hurt this family enough". I shot my head towards the lady I considered my second mom. "It was an accident I had no control over. How could you not tell me where she was buried or that the child survived". She scoffed. "I lost my daughter and soon after my husband". "I lost " I yelled back. She rolled her eyes at me and guided the child into the kitchen. "Come on let's get you a snack" She said as she left.

"This was a mistake" I whispered and I made my way out. "Harry" Cara called after me but I kept walking. What was I thinking. That she'd apologize. I got in the car and took a breath. "You okay boss" Gio asked. No I needed her.

-

J

I sat there watching a movie with kai when I heard a knock on the door. Must be the pizza we ordered. "Can you get that" I asked. He sighed and got up. The door opened and shut a few seconds later. My eyes were so fixated on the screen as the main character found the love of her life. Who would've guessed. "Jen". I turned and looked at Kai then him. "H-Harry". "Hi sorry if I caught you at a bad time". I shook my head. "No your fine". There was another knock on the door. That must be the pizza. Kai looked at us both then went over to the door. I looked a hot mess in my tight and a oversized shirt I saw laying on my floor. In my defence it was laundry day.

"Sorry to come by unannounced but I saw the child... and I just don't want to be alone right now. Gemma went back to the Uk for a little." She's been there for a while. "Yeah of course, We just ordered pizza". Kai came back with the box and we all sat down and watched the movie and ate. Every few seconds I glanced at him. I had so many questions for him but now was not the time. I can't imagine how he's feeling. As I was staring at him he glanced over at me. I snapped my eyes back to the screen.

Hope you enjoyed. Merry Christmas.

I got scars, even though they can't always be seen