12- Let Her Go

I sat up slowly, turning on my lamp and taking the large white envelope in both my hands. Jacks head popped round the corner and he walked back towards me, his eyes wide with nervousness.

He sat down beside me and looked me in the eye before looking down to the envelope.

"What's this?" He asked before gingerly taking it from my grasp.

"I got a reply from one of the colleges I applied for." I whispered, watching him pull out the papers I'd already read.

"When?" He asked, a foreign anger streaking his soft voice.

"This morning."

His eyes scanned the paper quickly and he stayed staring at the paper.

"Alexis. It's in LA. That's across the country." He said, shoving the papers back into the envelope.

"Jack. I don't have the money to go anywhere else, it's a full scholarship. I can't afford other places." I said.

"But it's in LA." He said, finally looking up to me. Fear washed over his face and he took my hand, standing up.

"Please Al. You can't leave." He pleaded.

"Jack I have no choice. This is what I need to do."

"I can't deal with long distance relationships!" He almost yelled.

"Neither can I!" I stood up in front of him.

We both stared at each other for a while, taking in what we just said.

"What do you mean? You think we should breakup?" He asked.

"No. No." I blurted looking up and into his eyes.

"Then what are you implying? I can't move to LA. My whole career is here, with Johnson. A duo doesn't work with one of us in a different state. What about the college here? LA's far away Al." He yelled.

Jack and I never fought and seeing him upset and angry made me want to run into his arms and tell him that I wasn't going anywhere.

"Don't yell at me! I need to get out of Omaha Jack. My brother, my mum, it's all too much!"

"So your going to go through with this? Your going to leave Omaha? Me?!"

I stayed quiet this time, looking down to my bare feet on the wooden floor. A tear slipped down my cheek. I didn't know what to do.

Jack lifted my chin slowly, wiping my tears and pulling me into his arms.

"I'm sorry Al, I just can't let you go."