𝟏

"Shit!" I say startled, as the glass fell out of my hand, breaking on the floor & sending orange juice to spill on the floor.

"Language, Charlotte!" my mom yells from the living room.

"Idiot" my dad says jokingly, turning the corner into the kitchen of our cozy North Carolina home. 

"Yeah, Yeah" I chuckle as I kneel down to clean up my mess.

"Don't worry about it, kiddo. I got this, don't you have your friends to meet up with?" my dad says. 

"Ah yes, Dad. Thank you" I stand up & kiss him on the cheek.

I grab my half eaten pop tart off the counter & walk off towards the door.

I always felt a twinge of fear leaving my house, my dad, my best friend, never had great health, but especially not after his diagnosis. I often forgot about his inescapable pain because of his high spirits he always kept. 

"Bye, Mom. Bye, Dad." I shouted as I walked out the door whilst I slipped on my white Birkenstocks.

I walked to the cracked pavement of the street, feeling the warm obx sun on my soon to be tanned skin that wasn't covered by my bikini top or denim shorts I had on.

It was the first week of Summer, life was good. 

After a walk of five or so minutes  I arrived at the Chateau, eating the last bite of my cookie dough pop tart.

"What up, losers" I said dapping up the three Pogue boys that sat outside John B's.

"Yo, Char, wait 'til you see the waves out there. They're wild!" JJ said excitingly.

"My board's still here right, JB?" I said turning to John B.

"Yup"

The door to the house swung open, Kiara stepped out. "What are we waiting for? Let's get out on the water!" 

"Second that" Pope said.

We all stood up, grabbed our boards, packed up the van with our boards, & hopped in the van to head to the beach. 

We got to the beach & jumped out of the van.

"Race ya guys." Pope said.

We all immediately broke out into a sprint & ran towards the water.

John B. spoke up, "Hah, suck it losers." 

"Oh you are just SO athletic, John B." I said very sarcastically.

"Knock it off, Sallow" John B. said lightly hitting the back of my head.

"Oh John B. you're so cool-" I said in a swooning voice, just to bother him.

"Are you guys gonna fuck or something, or can we go surf?" JJ says.

"Yeah, we were just going to, right there in front of that family of tourists." John B. pointed out.