Chapter Five

"The city is starting to panic as yet another young woman has been reported missing. This marks the second victim in less than two weeks, the first being Layla Hunt, the eighteen-year-old girl from Louisiana. Authorities have yet to comment, but sources are stating that the two cases are connected. This morning, Cheryl Fuller reported her daughter, Candice missing. Candice was last seen in Times Square with a group of friends. Police are actively investigating and urge any witnesses with information on either case, to please come forward." Cian looked up as a photo splashed across the screen of a young brunette in a cheerleader's uniform.

He was catching a bit of down time in the attendings' lounge before his next surgery. It had been one hell of a day with two emergency surgeries on top of his regular cases. Dragging a hand through his dark hair, he sighed and turned his attention back to the news station just as Rae Kelley came on screen. Her blonde hair was piled on her head in some bun-type thing and her breasts all but spilled out of the black dress she wore as she bounced her step on her blood-red high heels. Cian rolled his eyes at her image, how she got that job was beyond him.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen," she began before pausing and staring at something off in the distance. "Oh! Good afternoon, I mean...good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen." Her face burned red from her on-air mistake, and Cian having no patience for idiocy, was about to switch her off when her next words caught his attention.

"We have an update on The Watcher, the vigilante who we believe has been eliminating criminals who have escaped justice in the legal system. Sources tell us that one, Darwin Fergus, who died just over two weeks ago, was in fact a victim of our unknown protector. If you'll recall, Fergus was accused of running a fraudulent con-artist scheme that cheated several dozens of elderly people out of their retirement funds. There were also allegations raised that a few suspicious deaths may have been at his hand in an attempt to cover up his treachery. With not enough evidence to prosecute, he was let go much to the outrage of the community.

After a back alley beating, he died from complications during surgery. Coincidence? Or is this again the work of The Watcher? We'll keep you updated as information regarding this comes available. Don't forget to tune in to Channel 15 and check out my blog, Rae's Ramblings."

Furious, Cian shoved himself up from the leather sofa and paced around the room like a caged cat. That fucking nosey idiot reporter was getting way to close to finding out the truth. And who the hell were these "sources" she claimed she got her information from? Everyone on his team had as much at stake as he did and he knew without a doubt he could trust each of them.

But did he really? Despite his better judgement, doubt started to creep in. The only people that knew the truth about what he'd done were the six people on his team. Perhaps it was time he started considering the fact he might have a mole on his hands.

In the hallway, he ran into Reynolds who was just finishing up a conversation with the Chief. "Reynolds, Chief," he greeted as he joined them.

Chief Murphy clasped him on the shoulder and steered him aside. "Damn good work getting those two transplant cases into our hospital, O'Reilly. The media attention is just what this place needs and that kind of initiative is what sets you apart from the rest. Keep it up and you just might be a good candidate for my position one day."

"Well, sir, I can't say that wouldn't please me, although I know we're several years off from that happening. Still, thank you for the recognition. I have a few other high profile cases to discuss with you as well that I'd like to bring in."

Murphy grinned and nodded. "Call my secretary and have her set up a time for this week. I want to hear more about this."

Telling him he'd do that, Cian glanced to the left as Webster came into the main foyer with her six interns trailing behind her. Each had their heads hung as though in shame and from the way Webster's head was tossing and her hip was cocked, he guessed they were getting in shit. The guilty expressions confirmed it, all except Athena. She didn't look guilty or remorseful; she looked pissed. Curious, he moved closer to find out what the issue was.