Five: This Again

6 September

Did thoughts always swirl around in storms of emotion? Astor wondered. He couldn't remember when he last found the island of calm within the raging waters of his mind. Three weeks had passed since they were last at the palace— and two since the king's death. Astor believed, as he watched the servants busy themselves around the manor, that his brother was the only thing keeping him sane.

'Astor,' Nathanial called from across the room. Four times already. 'Astor?' He took careful strides to where his brother stood with an eerily vacant face. 'Astor?' He tapped his shoulder but no response came. 'Right. Now you're scaring me,' he waved a hand in front of Astor's face, snapped his fingers to draw attention but his brother's expression remained empty, almost hollow.

Then the most peculiar thing happened. A young woman ran into the parlor, clutching the bright yellow headscarf she wore just as the servants scurried away. She had her back against the closed doors, breathing heavily and apparently unaware of the two boys. This unplanned interruption seemed to be enough to snap Astor out of whatever trance he was in.

'Who's that?' Astor whispered in question,

'ALYA NAZIHA MUHAMMAD YOU HAVE THE DAMN NERVE—'

'Alya Muhammad,' Nathanial said, visibly amused. 'Who's the screaming lunatic?'

Astor knew exactly who was screaming. Before the pair of lead feet stomped over to them. Before the woman threw open the oak doors in fury. And before she brandished the sword to surprise them all.

'Heather Carlton.'

'HOW DARE YOU ASK ABOUT THAT—'

'Heather!' She turned around at the cheerful greeting. 'What are you doing here?'

'Nothing much,' she said with indifference, her grip slackening on the blade. 'You know about the coronation coming soon. Our parents are supposed to discuss who gets custody of the throne,' she smiled as if she hadn't just entered with a force of a warrior at battle.

'Really? What about the sword then? You know we can't have a murderer as queen.'

'Oh this?' She swung it around like a toy. 'This is just a bit of dramatic flair. Making an entrance as you say,' Heather plopped into an armchair and propped the sword next to her. 'Found it in the study. You should really watch where you keep those. Come on then,' she beckoned them over. 'Don't just stand there.'

'Miss Carlton,' Nathanial gave a curt nod as he joined his brother on the settee.

'Pleasure,' she then turned to Astor. 'At least your brother has the decency to address me properly.'

'Like I've said before, you bring out my worst.' The corner of his mouth tugged upwards involuntarily.

'I believe you,' Alya exhaled heavily. 'Alya Muhammad.'

'We heard,' Nathanial snickered and quickly amended before his brother could notice.

'Are you nervous about the verdict?' Astor made an attempt at conversation.

'Pah! Verdict, Mr. Hemingway? You never struck as the one to follow rules.'

'But Keydon needs a ruler.'

'Not for another four weeks,' she countered. 'Our fathers seem to have it under control, as far as their bickering goes,' she muttered, picking at a stray thread on the armchair.

'Is she usually like this?' Astor looked to Alya.

'She did just chase me in here with a sword, yelling like a madman for fun,' Alya raised a brow. 'Heather's just like that.'

'So she's naturally mental?'

'I'm right here,' Heather reminded them.

'She isnt mental,' Alya said in a hushed tone. 'She's—'

'Psychopathic?'

'Christopher's missing all right!' Heather said in an outburst.

'The prince is missing?' It was Nathanial who spoke this time.

'Gone, disappeared,' she muttered irritably. 'And here I am playing dress up with spoons and wine glasses.'

'Come again?'

'I said he's disappeared!' Heather stood abruptly and began pacing around. 'What more do you want from me?'

'No, no. I heard what you screamed. I want to hear what she has to say,' Astor motioned to the maid blushing scarlet at the door. 'What's wrong?'

'I said, um, Lady Everton...' her words faded into a mumble.

'Oh speak up.' Heather cast her a fiery glare that caused her to turn another shade redder.

'Lady Everton is dead.'

A/N 

That sword really snapped them into action. First the king and now this? What sort of story are you reading? Go ahead and vote and comment to find out.