Chapter 13 (A)

Hermione hastily pushed past all of the partygoers, trying to drown her sobs in the excitement of the masquerade. She rushed upstairs and slammed the door behind her, sliding down to the floor in a heap of sorrow. She couldn't believe how happy she had been just an hour ago, dancing around with Draco. Her mind kept wandering to that speech that he had given her outside. He's Draco Malfoy, Hermione thought. He could never love me. She picked herself up off of the floor and walked over to the mirror. Her delicate makeup was now ruined, black streaks running from her eyes and the deep red lipstick smudged across her face. The updo that Bellatrix had worked up was now completely undone. Hermione gripped the dresser below the mirror to keep her balance. She looked down and her eyes landed on a feather and a bottle of ink. It took a bit of searching, but she finally located an envelope and a piece of paper to send to George.

George,

This was a terrible mistake. I need you to come pick me up tonight. Please.

She didn't bother signing her name at the bottom before sending it off. George would be able to tell that it was from her.

By 5 A.M, Hermione was completely packed and unbearably eager to get out of there. She had nearly fallen asleep by the time there was a knock at her door.

"Go away, Draco," Hermione said tiredly. The door began to open, and Hermione sprung up from the bed. She wasn't ready to have to talk to him yet. However, she wasn't greeted by Draco at the door. Instead, it was Narcissa.

"We can't find Draco," Narcissa said solemnly.

"What?" Hermione said, her voice laced with concern.

"He never came back inside after leaving with you... we figured that you two were still together, but apparently not."

Hermione looked at the ground with guilt.

"This is all my fault. I'll help you look for him," Hermione said as she grabbed her wand from her suitcase.

Narcissa nodded and the two of them went to meet Lucius downstairs.

"Where's Bellatrix?" Hermione asked.

"I saw her disappear with Rudolph. We figure she's finally gone home," Narcissa replied.

"Oh, o-" Hermione was cut off by Lucius' voice.

"Let's focus on the issue at hand here," he bellowed.

"Right. Lucius and I will search the house. Hermione, would you mind looking outside?" Narcissa proposed.

"Certainly," Hermione said before running out the door and into the gardens.