1

Beatrice stared among the steps in front of her. She thought of what might happen. "Everything is fine, it's not scary up there..." Beatrice said to herself. Her parents were circus performers, and were always traveling place to place. She didn't want to go with them this time. She wanted to show them how responsible she was.
Beatrice climbed the first step, hesitated, and climbed the next step. This went on and on until she was at the very top of the stairway. She stared into a room that seemed as if it could go on forever. A pitch black darkness hugged her little body. She was shivering, no heat ever led to the attic.
"Beatrice? We're home!" her mother had said.
"Coming!"
She ran downstairs and gave her parents huge hugs. She slammed the attic door and acted as if she never even went up there for the rest of the night.
Beatrice ate dinner. Brussels sprouts. She threw them to her dog quietly. Lucy grabbed it and tried to swallow it, but she spit it back out,
"Gross, I know." Beatrice whispered to Lucy (her dog).
"I think someone is starting to like the Brussels sprouts, huh?" her mother said.
"I think she's starting to love them!" her father answered. "Here, have another plate." He handed over a big steaming plate of Brussels sprouts for her to eat.
"Yeah, um, thanks," Beatrice mumbled. "but I'm full from my last plate. I'm fine, thank you."
"Okay, we'll save them for later." Her mother set the plate on the table and covered with tin foil. She then lifted it up and put it in the fridge.
"I, I'm going to head to bed." Beatrice wasn't really tired, but she wanted to explore the attic, in which she couldn't earlier.
"Oh, but it's only-" her father started.
"I'm just really exhausted," Beatrice pushed out of her tiny pink lips. "I just need to head to bed." She got up out of her chair and went over to her parents. She squeezed them both tight and gave them kisses goodnight.
Beatrice walked by her room, the door to the attic was just right next to her parents room. Maybe she could scramble up there and close the door before her parents go to sleep.
She ran to the door, very quietly, and opened. As she climbed up all the way to the top, she saw the room again, as it once was before. All dark and blank. She started towards a flickering light she seen. A gold necklace right before her eyes. Something hit her head.
"Ow!" The hanging light switch rope on the ceiling became in her way. She tugged it and a light came on. Now she could see everything! A clock, a chalkboard like a school's, desks...
"This must've been a tutoring class..." Beatrice said to herself. There was anything a class would need, although a few things were out of place. The gold necklace, a dresser full of clothes that smelled like cats, and old pictures of people.
Beatrice grabbed the pictures and ran to her room. She recognized something about the people.
"These look exactly like mother and father!" She studied more and more and found that they were her parents. But, these pictures dated back to 1922. Her parents weren't born then, so how could they look so much alike?
She set them in a drawer next to her bed and shut off her light.
"Goodnight, Mr. Stuffles." Her favorite stuffed bunny always was with her.