Chapter 1

Emptiness, that's all I feel.
That's all I've felt for months now.
That's all I can feel despite being here, in Spaldings department store in Saint Denis, surrounded by those like me.
No-they are nothing like me. Sure me and the many others in this 3rd floor room share the same lifestyle, high society and wealth.

Everyone around me chatters about their business, adventures around the country and how much they spent on their clothing.
But I'm empty inside, a hallowed out version of the girl I was just over a year ago.

My parents, oh how I love them, had me marry an up and coming Wiskey owner. He would have been my last choice, if I was given one.
Now, 7 months into marriage...I would have took a knife to the heart if I knew what was in store.

Frank was sweet in the beginning. He showered me in precious jewellery, new horses, the chance to never work a day in my life and live happily for the rest of my years.

The latter was a lie.

Now I try to hide the marks of his hand upon my skin.
Trying hard to mask the constant pain, both physically and emotionally.
I've learned to be a good lier in recent months, the biggest one being the smile I put on, expecially in rooms like this.

-----

"Mrs Hawthorne?"

I'm pulled out of my thoughts as the voices rush into my ears.

"Yes?" My attention now on the woman in front of me. Black hair, olive skin and a dress of baby blue and frills.

"I asked when will you be brining a little bundle of joy into yours and Frank's life?" She looks at me with kind eyes.

"Oh. Hopefully very soon." I giggle slightly and she follows.

"Won't be long till we have many little scallywags running you up the walls. Aint that right my dear?" Frank boasts as he pulls me closer to him. His grip tightening.
I can't help but to nod slightly.

I could never bring a child into a life under his thumb, my eyes glaze slightly knowing that it almost happened.

I look around the room at the many others here for potential buisness to increase their wealth and social status.
But my eyes land on two men that look like they don't belong amongst us despite them trying to.
Just as a see them, they approach us.