Chapter 5

The two weeks that passed were a struggle, the pain was easing now but i couldn't ease my mind no matter how i tried. Sitting out on the edge of the overlook would help slightly, looking out at the vastness of the wild lands, being the same height as the birds.
But my mind always returned to him, to Frank. Surely after two weeks I would have heard something or read something in the papers that Hosea or Arthur would return with each morning. Arthur had said maybe he won't look for me, maybe he's not as possessive when it came to me...his wife. I doubted his words but hoped they could be true.

Getting closer to the others here helped as a distraction and Miss Grimshaw made sure my time here wasn't wasted, having me wash clothing or stitch ripped garments when I was feeling more useful. The girls were very kind, the only one I didn't speak too much being Mrs Sadie Adler. She had been through so much and was still adjusting but she seemed like a strong woman, all of the women do in fact. Abigail had to juggle a young boy and a man that didn't seem to want to be a father. Mary-Beth let me borrow some of her books, to be honest, they are awful romances but entertaining enough not to put down. Karen would share her drink with me while we sat round the fire, Javier singing into the night.

This morning, Hosea asked me to join him in a game of dominos. Despite never playing the game before he was happy enough to teach me. He was wise and seemed to be the only one of the guys that was more logical when it came to jobs that needed to be done and how they should be done.

"You sure you've never played before. It's a simple game but you got the hang of it quickly." he said as he placed his tile down.

"Used to play poker, blackjack and chess with my father. Frank never let me gamble, saying gambling is a man's sport that's too complex for a woman to understand."

He scoffed at that and shook his head "Seems like a quality man, shame robbing him wasn't successful."

I giggled, continuing our game in silence until Arthur approached, mentioning how he was going to Valentine to meet up with Javier, Charles and Bill. Hosea told him to keep out of trouble as Arthur turned to leave.

I decided to cut the game short, telling him I needed to ask a favour before Arthur left.

I made my way over to where he was saddling his horse, a beautiful Mahogany Bay Tennessee Walker named Barley.

"Hey Arthur, could I ask a favor? If you're not busy."

"Sure."

"I have a couple of things I'd like to sell, would you be willing to take me to a fence?

He pondered for a moment, weighing out the pros and cons as he pulled out his cigarettes from his satchel and lighting one.

"Promise you won't fall off my horse again?" He grinned slightly, meeting my gaze.

"I'll try my best." I couldn't help but to giggle at his taunt, looking down the ground as i flushed with embarrassment.

He nodded and blew out a puff of smoke as I turned to get what I needed.
The first night I arrived my dress was ruined, now being used for rags and patches but my necklace and earrings were still intact and could sell for a good price. I put them into my new satchel, given to me by Charles as he had no use for it anymore. Him and Arthur brought back a few good pelts and meat a few days ago. I really need to gain the courage to ask if I can join in their next hunt. I hadn't hunted in years, that being another thing my father taught me.

The ride to Emerald Ranch didn't take long, Arthur kept the ride slow thinking I might fall again, possibly seeing me as this delicate being that would shatter if we got anywhere near the speed of a gallop.