Chapter 7

Bear hide, a deer and deer hides along with a few rabbits and many herbs thanks to Charles means we will all be eating well for the next week or so. It was a successful hunt, given what happened.

This morning had been slow, helping Pearson prepare today's meals, reading, and laundry. I was trying to think of other ways I could contribute, to prevent myself from going mad doing the same things every day, I don't know how the other girls do it.

Doing laundry with the other girls, Tilly and Mary-Beth, helped the time go by a bit quicker than a snail's pace.

They reminded me a lot of my childhood friends that I grew up with, daughters of the neighbouring farm.

I missed them terribly and hoped wherever they were, they would be safe and happy. I miss our conversations, talking about boys, the latest clothing that was in fashion in New York, Paris and London, politics, women's rights, you know, the usual girl talk.
Conversations with the girls at camp were not much different, just a bit more impure and harsh than I was used to.
It was all fun and games until they started asking if I had my eye on anyone in camp.

"Don't be shy, Bella. Must be someone you find easy on the eyes here." Mary Beth giggled

"After my experience, I wouldn't say no to never involving myself with a man again."

"There are good men out there, finding the right one just takes time. If only it was as simple as it is in the books. Bumping into them one evening and then riding off into the night together."

Me and Tilly share a humorous look, stifling our laughter.

"Anyway, life ain't just about finding the one and settling down. You can always have fun...and rob them after." Tilly says, causing the three of us to burst into laughter.

"What're you three gigglin' about?" Arthur interjects from behind us, causing all of us to jump in surprise.

"Just lady things Mr Morgan" Tilly replies, Arthur letting out a doubtful huff before turning his attention to me.

"You still wantin' that shootin' lesson Miss Bella?"

"Of course. Now?"

"If you're free"

I looked over to the other girls, silently asking for permission to leave them with the rest of my chores. Thankfully they did.

"Yeah, I'm free now" I smiled up at him.

"Get sorted and I'll meet you at the horses." He smiled back and walked off towards his tent.

Turning my attention to finish off washing the shirt in my hands as quickly as possible, I could feel eyes boring into the back of my skull, waiting for me to look over to them. I couldn't, I just hoped they couldn't see the sudden blush forming on my cheeks.

"Don't get any ideas. He's just teaching me how to shoot." Keeping my eyes on the shirt I was working on with haste and earning myself more doubtful hums and giggles.

I changed into pants and holstered my gun before making my way over to Arthur and his horse. He helped me up in one swift motion before mounting himself.

As we were leaving camp we passed Tilly and Mary-Beth, now working on the few garments I had left. Both watching us as I shook my head at them.

"Don't forget to have fun Bella" Tilly shouted over as we left, shaking my head again, thankful to be sat behind Arthur but hoping he wouldn't look back as I was blushing once again.

"What she talking about?"

"Oh, i don't really know."

... . .